Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
161 - 180 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Question for those of you that have been at this a while... this year I've been getting sick some times after eating something made with our mushrooms. This only happened once last year and someone told me we probably didn't wash our hands between preparing and eating (at the cabin, cooking over a fire so I'd say that tracks). I know I'm eating good mushrooms and preparing them properly, and making sure to wash my hands right away after I'm done prepping so that I don't grab something to eat/drink with spore hands. I'm wondering if my new technique to prepping chicken might be the culprit...I have found this year that I prefer to break it apart into small pieces with my hands as it breaks at weak points where creepy crawlies may be but it also makes the pieces look very much like actual shredded chicken. I'm wondering if this is causing me to breath in raw spores. Thoughts? Only happened when chicken is in the mix and we ate a ton of chicken last year without this problem (except that once). One side note, subbed COTW for real chicken in a white bean chili tonight and it was rad. Till I saw it in reverse, of course. :sick:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Maybe they just dont agree with you for some reason. Some people cant tolerate some wild shroom anyone else eat any of that some meal with you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Maybe they just dont agree with you for some reason. Some people cant tolerate some wild shroom anyone else eat any of that some meal with you?"

I would have thought the same thing but considering I ate them probably minimum 25 times last year and only had an issue the one time it seems unlikely to me. Unless something has just radically changed in how I tolerate it between last year and this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
About 15% of people can't tolerate COTW. Since you've had them before with no problem, you've probably developed an intolerance. I know someone who ate morels for years and then found he couldn't eat them any more. At some point you may switch back and be able to eat them again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
It's kind of like the reaction to bee stings and bug bites. I got stung by bees quite a few times as a kid. It hurt like hell, but other than that no problem. A few years ago I got stung 3 times by Yellow Jackets when I mowed over the entrance to their nest in the ground. I shut off the mower and went inside to check myself. After a while there was no swelling or breathing difiiculties, so i figured I was good to go. My buddy, who I've known most of my life, was the same as me when young. But nowadays, if he gets stung by anything now he plumps like a Ball Park frank! Your body chemistry can change as you age.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Amazing mushrooms!!! I've been up here all summer, but not found too much. Recently been finding lots of puffballs and hens.... but not picking them, just enjoying the woods before I go back to the desert. Woods are a nice escape for me and boost my serotonin levels. I'll have to escape to Sedona or some place further north this winter to get in some Forrest time. Have a great winter peoples!!! Hope you all find chunk of Chaga and stay away from the🦠.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
So i went to a cabin around grand rapids and oh my!!! 1000s of honeys this year mushroom season is saved!! I had enough to feed 50 people and lots more!!
 
161 - 180 of 192 Posts
Top