Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Chanterelles are coming up in the Becker/Beltrami county area….bugs are absolutely relentless though. Anyone have any tried and true methods? I know long sleeve/permethrin/etc, but the horse and deer flies are on a mission this year

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes trumpets........ Illusive to me as well. I can find chanterelles by the bucket full, but no trumpets. I have read everything that has been stated on this chat about them is true. I have the right soil and all the oaks i can handle, but they rarely grow with moss. I don't see much moss unless im in willow/ash/aspin territory. The chants are just starting to run in west central Minnesota.
Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass Flowering plant

·
Registered
188 Posts
The only thing I've found that actually works is to stay out the woods lol. Bug spray kinda works but haven't found much else other than that and staying out of there and finding a different spot with less buggs
Lol i hate say it, but bringing a dog helps! I have my lab trained to stay when i stop moving fast and forage. He won't move until im done and call him. I have tried to put deet on his ears but he rolls around in the grass until it's off. Unfortunately my mushroom hunting companion is bait.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Was playing golf the other day, and right beside one tee was a bunch of raspberry bushes that had tiny, immature berries on it due to the lack of rain around here! I always like a free snack on the course, but, not that day!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm editing sorry sorry had to say - this is not an ad i don't accept money. I'm a mycological anarchist. Ok. This was the original below_

I didn't get much feedback here so apologies if anybody was bummed out that i didn't message them back, I've been out for chanterelles about 6-7 times now, not too many are interested. Chants are finally getting big enough to spot and trumpets are just starting. If anybody is interested there's an MMS foray i'm leading in central mn (just mms members can attend) on their schedule next week and I'll be out on monday. Live streaming from st. croix tomorrow, find me. I'm sam. i'm easy to find

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Im seeing different development in the chants from woods to woods, all within 10 miles of my house. Some flushes are just getting started, while others are getting past prime. The good thing is theres hardly any buggy ones!

41 - 60 of 70 Posts