Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Can anyone help identify? Looks like a Matsutake. View attachment 44309
I guess I should elaborate. Shroom searcher, and sporeview aren't wrong. With one pic it could be a lot of things, though im certain i am correct. I have eaten them. This picture tells me its brownish. That means it's likely too old. Get them when they are white and they will be good. I usually find them in troops marching down a decaying log inches off the ground. If i am hungry enough I will collect them. But there are better mushrooms out there!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I guess I should elaborate. Shroom searcher, and sporeview aren't wrong. With one pic it could be a lot of things, though im certain i am correct. I have eaten them. This picture tells me its brownish. That means it's likely too old. Get them when they are white and they will be good. I usually find them in troops marching down a decaying log inches off the ground. If i am hungry enough I will collect them. But there are better mushrooms out there!
Thanks everyone for the quick responses! I am new to the forum and I appreciate it! I will split it open and let you know what I find.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Im pretty sure this is a coliflower mushroom just thought I would post it to confirm with some of you that know more about them than me View attachment 44260
That looks like a Cauliflower to me, however I've never found one myself. Did you eat it? That one is at the top of my mushroom bucket list. Also, great job piling up hens, as usual.

·
Registered
492 Posts
No I didnt eat it would love to try one but not comfortable enough iding these shrooms yet to feel confident on eating them. Pretty sure it was coliflower mushroon but would like to know how people know for sure thats what it is. There are 2 types of mushrooms hunter cautious ones that check all possibilities before trying a new species and brave dead ones, I would like to think im part of the first group. Lol if anyone has more insight on the coliflower mushroom ast to how you positively id them please share your knowledge it would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I've mentioned it other places in this forum, but I don't think I've done it here. There a YouTube channel called Learn Your Land. It's all about gatherin wild food. They cover all the popular, and some not so popular, mushrooms. They tell you how to make positive ID's, what the spore print color is, how to do them, and even give some reciped ideas. Check them out, they are a good resource.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've mentioned it other places in this forum, but I don't think I've done it here. There a YouTube channel called Learn Your Land. It's all about gatherin wild food. They cover all the popular, and some not so popular, mushrooms. They tell you how to make positive ID's, what the spore print color is, how to do them, and even give some reciped ideas. Check them out, they are a good resource.
Is that the guy with big round ear rings?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I can't believe its already that time, for Maitake... My new place has become a mushroom mecca! I honestly don't think I've ever seen so many different species of mushrooms in one place! I've been finding some really nice meaty smooth chants, and found 5 porcini just 15 feet from my front door, growing from the lawn. Lawn basically being woods, but mowed... Haven't had time to good full-on foraging, but hope to this week. Good luck out there!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can't believe its already that time, for Maitake... My new place has become a mushroom mecca! I honestly don't think I've ever seen so many different species of mushrooms in one place! I've been finding some really nice meaty smooth chants, and found 5 porcini just 15 feet from my front door, growing from the lawn. Lawn basically being woods, but mowed... Haven't had time to good full-on foraging, but hope to this week. Good luck out there!
Awesome dude, I'm jealous!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Finally went on my first summer/fall forage on my land. It turned out pretty good! Lots of hedgehogs. The maitake ended up being infested with thousands of tiny jumping worms… lol So they were jumping all over my counter and everything else! That had to get thrown out. I still have a chunk of oaks and pines to go explore.
Food Cuisine Ingredient Fast food Building

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm jealous of you all, it's been a crazy end of summer here so I haven't really gotten in the woods at all. I'm hoping the rain is done for a while here in Central so I can check a few spots. Hens are always my illusive mushroom. I'm guessing my patch of entalomas by my parents is popping by now at least :)

101 - 120 of 120 Posts