Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
I both forage for the table and collect for herbaria.
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are surely a few Mississippians who, like me, check these forums and wish we were better represented. We may not find a ton, but we find some of the earliest.

I’m hoping that the hard freeze doesn’t set us back too much. I found my first ones last year on March 3, and they were already mature. It should be starting in the loess bluffs on the west side of the state soon, within 10 days or so. I hope to see more fellow Mississippians join and post here.

· Administrator
2,540 Posts
There are surely a few Mississippians who, like me, check these forums and wish we were better represented. We may not find a ton, but we find some of the earliest.

I’m hoping that the hard freeze doesn’t set us back too much. I found my first ones last year on March 3, and they were already mature. It should be starting in the loess bluffs on the west side of the state soon, within 10 days or so. I hope to see more fellow Mississippians join and post here.
Howdy.. @ElsieW !!!
Wade here..up in Monroe County Indiana
We are with You Now...I see several other members have found You and hit a like on Your Post..
We'all up here Love to see Pictures of Yalls Beautiful Outdoors and Your Morels.
We'll b Hunt'n & Sharing the Woods Together with you on here.
So hit back and Post with Us as often as you are able
Thank You
"Love the Hunt"

· Registered
1 Posts

Moved to Southwest Mississippi last July from PA. Great to hear that morels can be found here! I'll probably take a quick look today.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you! I’m pumped that they’re up. @Helena P: if you’re near the loess bluffs, in southwestern MS, that’s where you’ll find them. Once you get into that sandy longleaf pine habitat, you likely won’t find any.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have the Tunica Hills area in LA. Seems like they’re generally a couple days before us, though this year has been disappointing for them. It’s kind of nice having them first. By the time they show up in Michigan, we’re already picking chanterelles and boletes.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sweet! Those are nice. Long way away for me, but I like to see it's happening for you guys down south.
Our season is short and the morels are spread out, but this one big cottonwood has served me well so far. Hope y’all have a good season up there!

· Registered
1,216 Posts
Cool! I hunt on my fish & game club. We have 2,200 acres, so plenty of area! Some years back I found this enormous old cottonwood that is the biggest tree that I have ever seen. And I've found morels nearby. There are about a million dead elms at the club, but it seems like they are too long dead and the elm/morel connection doesn't work any more. I found morels under exactly one dead elm. The only one I found that was still holding its bark. And it only worked one time. That Summer all the bark fell off and the top half snapped off in a storm.

I find most of mine around cottonwood, sycamore, and apple trees. We also have tons of apple trees growing on the property. Some produce, some don't, and sometimes you get a surprise. Like the year I hiked into a new area and thought I didn't find anything, so I was hiking out. About 400 yards from the truck, out of the corner of my eye I spot something that is the right color for a morel. My head snaps around and I get a closer look. Sure enough, a nice big yellow, growing in a grass field!

I harvest that one and take a good look around. There's another, and another. This was in May, and I found about a dozen BIG yellows in that spot. I suspect that they were the "bigfoot" morels, from the time and the size. This was about 5 years ago, and I've never found another morel there since, but I check every year!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts