Missouri 2019 Season

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by tommyjosh, Oct 30, 2018.

1. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

This is the Missouri 2019 season.

2. beowulf75

beowulf75 Morel Connoisseur

3. NickS

NickS Morel Enthusiast

ITS ALMOST HERE!!! Wooohooo!! So I’m doing a YouTube show this year as I follow the morels from Arkansas to Wisconsin. I’m from St Charles Mo(just moved from the country) and I’ll be traveling all morel season(while still holding a full time job). The show is called “Following the Season” and it’s gonna be a blast. You can subscribe to Sticky Stein on YouTube and follow me on Facebook and Instagram. I’m so excited to be sharing my 2019 Morel season with the world. Hope to see you all out in the woods this year. And if anyone from southern and northern Mo would like to take home a couple extra morels I can use a guide and will give up a 1/4 of what I collect. I have spots north of St. Louis so I’m looking for guides in south Mo and North Mo near the Iowa border. Any help would be great and I’d be super excited to feature you on my show. So get over there and subscribe to my channel and enjoy my 2018 mushroom season and maybe even my tarantula videos. Thanks and have a great morel season

Sticky Stein

4. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Good luck on your spring adventure.
    Enjoy.

NickS and (deleted member) like this.
  5. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Sounds like fun Nick. I would need to negotiate your terms of the hunt though to help you out. I need $15 per hour and we split the haul to take you to any of my spots. Oh, and you pay the gas. What boxes we can fill............

6. morchella ed

morchella ed Morel Enthusiast

How's it looking down in Missouri? i'm up here in MN and the last couple years I've done a trip down there in mid April to hunt. I always come back with a few morels and many fond memories of good hunts, pretty country and reprieve from MN April (mud/snow/wintry mix).

This year I can't go April 20th, like we wanted, bc my wife and I are going to a wedding. We were thinking weekend of April 12th rather than the 27th (which we think might be too late). Any thoughts on whether April 12th will be too early this year? And I realize this is fully speculative, but what does your gut tell you?

7. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

8. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

Depends how far north u can go

9. morelchef

morelchef Morel Enthusiast

Now KB don't get him all excited. But as old as I am getting it might be a good deal. "OK now you go that way and I go this way, I sleep in car while he goes and finds boxes full, get $15 per hour and half the haul...hmmm

NickS and (deleted member) like this.
  10. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Dam Chef you are a lot smarter than me. Although it would be hard to sleep if there were that many out there! I just figured I might as well get paid for all the days I will spend driving and climbing the wrong hills at the wrong time anyway. Glad you survived another winter. I hear you on the old, I have the last morel season of my fifty's coming up, jeez where did the years go. Going to try to get a little farther south and north cause time is getting shorter. Stay in touch Chef. Morchella Ed my gut tells me that early April is going to be way to early in Mo. unless you are on the south border. I can't imagine anything north of the Mo. River being ready by then. But I have not looked at any long range temps. I guess 2-3 weeks of 60 plus would do it. If I was you I would plan for later.

1 person likes this.
  11. katydid

katydid Morel Enthusiast

Hi everyone! Just moved to central MO from upstate NY. Can anyone give me some approximate dates for the start/end of morel season here? We didn't really get into the morels until mid-May in the North Country. Boone County just south of Columbia for reference.

12. morelchef

Yea I would not be able to just sit there either cause your are correct about all the hills at the wrong time! I totally agree anything north of the river before mid April, which in my opinion is a good thing, these early springs of the last 4 or 5 years have not been the best years. I used to rarely cross the Iowa border before late April, early May. Last 2 years been into Iowa by mid April. We need a season where we can hunt from south to north instead of the whole dam region going at basically the same time. I'll stay in touch KB. Last year in your 50's dam I only have 3 left....

13. morelchef

It is all dependent on the weather, this year I would say you could reasonably start searching around first week of April. Start in the river bottoms

1 person likes this.
  14. Bill420247

Bill420247 Young Morel

Hi, I am new here and from Marthasville, MO. I will be doing some hunting close to Piedmont, MO (Wayne County) this year, I own 60 acres down there and plan to scour it for morels. I've never hunted it before so I'm excited to see what I can find. I'll also hunt around where I live, usually in St. Charles County.

15. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Welcome to the hunt, enjoy your spring & post your successes, THX’z

Jbarr likes this.
  16. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Yeah Chef, I used to never even cross the border to Iowa until the first week of May. Iowa has been a lot colder and snowier than me this year and I have been a lot colder than the KC area. So far so good on the season. If Oklahoma gets rain I figure something might happen down that way next week. Anyone on this board ever hunt Crowley's Ridge habitat in SE Mo.\NE Ark with any success? It's an area of MO. I have never picked a morel in, and it looks promising on Google Earth. The top soil is windblown just like the stuff in the 300 miles of loess hills that I hunt. Just wondering if anyone wants to share. How far south do you come Old Elm?

17. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

katydid, what type of trees did you hunt on in NY? Try to stay out of the oak/hickory stuff down there, I don't think it produces much. River bottom cottonwoods and maples are good bets. In the hills down that way I am not sure what you have.

2 people like this.
  18. morelmaniac78

morelmaniac78 Morel Enthusiast

With the amount of moisture we have received in Missouri this year, as long as the temps rise at a gradual pace, we should have a season we have not see in about 5 years. It us definitely lining up to be a good one in the Mo.

NickS likes this.
  19. NickS

NickS Morel Enthusiast

Thanks but no thanks. I don’t even make $15/hour at my day job. I’ve been scouting my topo map and I think I’ll have success wherever I go. But thanks for the offer.

20. NickS

NickS Morel Enthusiast

I agree. When we had all that rain a couple years back I had a phenomenal year. Last year produced well but it got so hot so fast. We basically had a 3 week spring. I was still picking freshys when the 90 degrees hit last year

1 person likes this.