Missouri 2019 Season

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by tommyjosh, Oct 30, 2018.

1. morelchef

morelchef Morel Enthusiast

Now the Missouri is busting out of the banks!! This is starting to concern me for the river bottoms. I was just down looking at the river at a in town access point and the water is in the parking lot and starting to go into the bathrooms, several light poles already have the concrete bases covered

2. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Forget your bottom spots Chef, I hate to say it but with what is still coming from up north a lot is going under. East of KC may get spared, it does not flood as easy as what is up here. We are going over 30 ft it looks like, and flood stage is 17, crap. Had a spot that hit for #40 last year and I'm sure its toast even on the other side of the levee for various reasons. Which is why I spend so much time in the hills, no floods. Don't know about the smaller rivers, they are probably ok. Most of this flood is coming from up by Sioux City. I don't think anything going under is going to produce this year.

1 person likes this.

3. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

No problem Nick, sounds like you have the drive. I was just having fun. If you come this way give me a shout, I'm always picking. Hey since you hunt the east side of the state you are the guy I need. I spend most of time on the west side unless there is some super reason to drive east. About 12 years ago I filled boxes on the soft maples along the streams up in the NE. corner, if you get up that way stop and hit some of those. If they are on you will have some fun. Let me know if you do, I have some spots to check. Have you ever hunted the Crowley's Ridge habitat in the SE corner? It has the right soil, I just don't know what the vegetation is. Sure looks good on Satellite. I'm not sure last year was even 3 weeks for spring, I thought we skipped it. I almost got heat stroke one of those 90 plus days. those suckers kill a season.

2 people like this.
  4. NickS

NickS Morel Enthusiast

Lol. My bad. Didn’t mean to sound rude. But I’m poor lol. That’s why I can only pay in morels. But I think I’m gonna wing it all. Someone gave me some good advice about my venture so I’m gonna follow it. But I appreciate it. And I’ve only hunted east Mo. Next weekend I’m heading to southern Mo to hunt Mark Twain. I was gonna go to Arkansas and Illinois but I’ve been hearing of ppl getting fined often in those states. Which is stupid in my opinion. So I’m gonna Hunt Mo Iowa and Wisconsin this year. Mostly Mo. I’d like to make it to West Mo tho. Not sure what parks are there. And I grew up in NE Mo and my mom still lives there so I’m definitely gonna get up there. But yeah I don’t even make $15/hour lol. But it was a good try. The season is almost here tho. Good luck out there and I hope you all find the mother lode just like I WILL!! And we should all try and pick up a little bit trash out there as well. Nature could use a little cleanup

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    2 people like this.
  5. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

NickS, I hear you on the trash, they need to either ban plastic bottles or stupid people. Hey I have been in your shoes, most have when they are younger. You realize what morels sell for right? I'll I will say is that a person with the right knowledge and drive can make some nice coin on the side. When I was growing up and could not get a good job yet I would sell morels to pay for stuff. They only went for $1.25 a # then. I'm sure the St. Louis market pays a lot more than that. Don't sell in Iowa though without a license, or they might fine you. Contact me if you find so many you don't know what to do with them all and I'll see what I can do to help you out. Don't forget to check those maples on the streams up there.

1 person likes this.
  6. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Man picking morels used to be no problem almost anywhere. Now you need to check each states rules and be careful or get fined. How about they worry about the dick's throwing their trash out instead of who picks a morel that will decompose in week or two. Pretty soon they will want you to by a license every year. Mo is still one of the coolest on these things but getting worse.

7. Demyx

Demyx Morel Enthusiast

Any finds as of yet in misery

8. morelchef

Yes KB it is looking bad for the bottoms, we are flooded pretty much to the levee now. I am watching the rive up north and feel like we are going to get it much worse than the experts are saying, I do think they have looked at the river lately. HILLS HILLS HILL

9. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Shoot I feel for all those folks up river on the Mo., and pretty much the east side of Nebraska. The Platte and Elkhorn have gone nuts. I just heard Hamburg Iowa flooded.

2 people like this.
  10. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

to early in misery.

1 person likes this.
  11. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Aim for the high ground..... o_O:eek::D

12. morelchef

KB Hamburg is almost covered, the buildings have water have way up them. Very sad site to see. Hope everyone up there stays safe. I think up north the water may be from bluff to bluff! I went to the bottoms here in KC yesterday and although it is close the water has not come over the bank yet in most spots. I will be checking again today.

1 person likes this.
  13. katydid

katydid Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip. I found 95% by elms (newly dead or dying) and in old abandoned apple orchards (I hunted mostly on Ft Drum and there were hundreds of apple trees there on old homesteads from when Camp Drum became Fort Drum and many of the farmers in the area were forced out). Morel hunting was tough in upstate NY to say the least. Looking foarward to finding some midwest morels this spring.

1 person likes this.
  14. supplyguy1973

supplyguy1973 Morel Connoisseur

I used to be stationed there in the Army. Down here look for elms, ash, sycamore, tulip poplar, cottonwood, mixed cedar stands.

3 people like this.
  15. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

thanks supplyguy, I never really have hunted in that part of Missouri. I just know oak and hickory do me no good up here. Katy keep looking for those dead elm, should be more here than in NY I would think. We have no tulip poplar up here in Nw Mo but I agree with the cottonwood, ash, and sycamore. I don't find much around cedar up here but in the southern flint hills they have done me very well. I have always wondered about the trees along the streams in S. MO. Chef I hear they have closed I 29 just north of me, I think it is just an inland ocean now from Mound City to Omaha. I saw farmers who had given up trying to save their grain. They have insurance but these are proud hardworking people who hate to get paid that way.

4 people like this.
  16. katydid

katydid Morel Enthusiast

Supplyguy we were there for 4.5 years. My husband retired at the end of last year with over 20 years in the army. We miss the north country and would have retired there but we couldn't live with the NY safe act.

Thanks for the list of trees. Looks like I need to brush up on some of my tree identification in the next couple weeks.

3 people like this.
  17. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

Dont forget the River Birch

2 people like this.
  18. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

Blondes love the river birches

3 people like this.
  19. katydid

katydid Morel Enthusiast

This tree list is getting longer! Great info. Any of you guys know of a good tree ID app or a nice little pocket guide?

20. pedro

pedro Morel Connoisseur