Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

361 - 380 of 389 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Another end of the season coming on in Mo. Cooler temps. no cold snap in N. counties, and more precip. in the last week would have helped. This run of high 70s and 80's and no rain kind of put the kibosh on new growth.
Yeah, the few we found yesterday were starting to look rough. Gathered a few for breakfast to make crispy tortillas with our fresh asparagus, ham and cheese wraps. Life is good. 20200504_072559.jpg 20200503_133256.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Found these last Friday (5/1) near the Clay/Clinton Co. border...all off one tree 10 feet from where I parked my car, walked another 3 hrs and didn't find anymore.

Glad I'd found them when I did they were on their way to being 'naturally dehydrated'.

Went back the next day to check the other creek bank....nothing but two stumps and one that got missed and was too far gone.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Making my mouth water. Looks delicious!
It was a last minute experiment...and a rather tasty one....definitely being added to the 'do this again' list.

I was hoping for some 'cooler' temps this week to extend the season a little but 36° was not what I had in mind.

Long Shot Question for anyone here: Anyone here hunted way south...'like MS south'?

Wifey's grandmother lives down there and owns a large plot of timber covered land that I plan to hunt but not sure when to start planning a southward run...I checked the MS thread here but it hasn't seen any traffic since 2017.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you dont mind posting, I'm interested in your gravy recipe. I like the creamy look. I've never tried making gravy to go with the morels.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you dont mind posting, I'm interested in your gravy recipe. I like the creamy look. I've never tried making gravy to go with the morels.
It's fairly simple.
a tsp. butter, heavy cream, the juices from reheating the steak, salt and pepper to taste...and a splash of flour to thicken it.

I borrowed it from a now defunct restaurant that I used to cook for. Works well with chicken and broccoli also. Originally served over rice but with the steak I omitted the rice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's fairly simple.
a tsp. butter, heavy cream, the juices from reheating the steak, salt and pepper to taste...and a splash of flour to thicken it.

I borrowed it from a now defunct restaurant that I used to cook for. Works well with chicken and broccoli also. Originally served over rice but with the steak I omitted the rice.
Sounds fantastic! I have a couple ribeyes out for dinner, and found a few more big yellows to go with them. Thanks a lot for sharing!

·
Registered
822 Posts
It's fairly simple.

Sounds like it would be good with deer steaks and rice Mmmm or chanterelles :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like it would be good with deer steaks and rice Mmmm or chanterelles :)
Deer steak...that's something I'm still looking for a good seasoning/prep method for...did an experiment with Jack Stack Meat and Poultry rub and Worcestershire Sauce (on a 1/4" thick round steak)....would make a good jerky but as a steak it's...meh.

Mind sharing yours?

Also, thinking next time I get a deer I might have to specify a thicker cut for steaks....1/4 in. is kinda thin.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Deer steak...that's something I'm still looking for a good seasoning/prep method for...did an experiment with Jack Stack Meat and Poultry rub and Worcestershire Sauce (on a 1/4" thick round steak)....would make a good jerky but as a steak it's...meh.

Mind sharing yours?

Also, thinking next time I get a deer I might have to specify a thicker cut for steaks....1/4 in. is kinda thin.
Same here with venison steaks. I've tried marinating, beating the hell out of them and frying but still have shoe leather for the finished meal. After experimenting with my pressure and slow cooker, I found the only way our family loves eating the steaks are prepared in a slow cooker. I use steaks or roasts and make Mountain dew deer.
Season your roast (and I need to pick up some of that Jack Stack's dry rub) i use McCormick steak and chop. Put into slow cooker, add 4 carrots, celery, onion, 4 garlic cloves. Then for the liquid, add 1/4 c. brown powder, 1 can mountain dew, and 1 can of mushroom soup. Let that cook on low for 5 to 6 hours and the steaks fall apart. I add a little sour cream to the sauce pour the gravy over homemade noodles. My hogger adult kids devour it. Some sweet 97 yr old lady gave me the recipe years ago and I'm still loving it. So I've long lost interest in trying to grill a good version steak. Let me know if you give it a go and how you like it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I made the same recipe but in a dutch oven the roasted for 5 hrs on 250. Granny G. 20191215_103226.jpg says not to lift the lid until done or you mess it up. Lol

·
Registered
822 Posts

Mind sharing yours?

Slice to desired thickness season with generic steak seasoning cook in butter in cast iron and when done put on top of rice and smother in ur gravy sounds good to me:cool:

361 - 380 of 389 Posts