Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 60 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I once lived a few years in OKCity and had a few places that always produced. So, I drove down there from KCMO on Wednesday because people were posting finds.... nothing. Not even stumps or even footprints in the moist soil. Then drove over to my Ozark ranch near Ava, MO and spent 4 hrs up and down them hills checking all my favorite spots.... nothing (yet). May Apples are at best 3" out of the leaves. And, there's hardly a hint of green in the woods yet. No Redbuds open, nor Dogwoods. Soil moisture was good and the heat was 81 deg F. I was expecting an early season, but my woods just don't look right yet. I'm thinking it'll get really good in about 7-10 days with more rain and reasonable temperatures. I'm starting to druel.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I once lived a few years in OKCity and had a few places that always produced. So, I drove down there from KCMO on Wednesday because people were posting finds.... nothing. Not even stumps or even footprints in the moist soil. Then drove over to my Ozark ranch near Ava, MO and spent 4 hrs up and down them hills checking all my favorite spots.... nothing (yet). May Apples are at best 3" out of the leaves. And, there's hardly a hint of green in the woods yet. No Redbuds open, nor Dogwoods. Soil moisture was good and the heat was 81 deg F. I was expecting an early season, but my woods just don't look right yet. I'm thinking it'll get really good in about 7-10 days with more rain and reasonable temperatures. I'm starting to druel.
Well it sure wasnt for the lack of effort. What do they grow on in the Ozarks? Never hunted down there and always wondered about the streams and rivers having morels. Could not remember from my younger days on trips what type of trees are on the banks, soft maples would be good for morels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well it sure wasnt for the lack of effort. What do they grow on in the Ozarks? Never hunted down there and always wondered about the streams and rivers having morels. Could not remember from my younger days on trips what type of trees are on the banks, soft maples would be good for morels.
I've never found any along active streams in the Ozarks (my area of Ozarks). I think too much flooding each spring and it deposits lots of sand. No good black organic dirt = no Morel. However, along tributaries that generally have only rain runoff, those seem to produce where you find organic black dirt. I look for dead/down trees. Unlike OKlahoma, I've never found any under a cedar in Ozarks. Oaks seem to be the spot, but I have 75% oak, 10% hickory, 10% walnut & 5% of everything else. So, if they are there, mostly gonna be under oaks just because. And, I've never found any on high ground (but, most of my high ground tends to be pastures so my database is lacking opportunity). Someone earlier said they found them on high ground. Interstingly, I noted this past week that wild prarie crabapples were in full bloom on ground that was 100' higher elevation than others that were just experiencing bud break. Sooo, high ground early season might be productive. It appears I need another hike to check that theory.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Sounds like some tough picking conditions down in your area. I would be hard pressed to find any applying what I know from the areas I hunt. I usually avoid oak and hickory timbers as much as possible up in NW Mo., but I guess in the ozarks that leaves out most of the timber. I have picked morels out of sand, the problem is getting the sand out of the morel.

·
Registered
79 Posts
In being an avid hunter with varying degrees of success, I’ve only found one black morel patch that quit flushing years ago.
Tips and hints appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like some tough picking conditions down in your area. I would be hard pressed to find any applying what I know from the areas I hunt. I usually avoid oak and hickory timbers as much as possible up in NW Mo., but I guess in the ozarks that leaves out most of the timber. I have picked morels out of sand, the problem is getting the sand out of the morel.
Well, I have a home in Independence, MO as well. And, I don't look under Oaks up here at all. Steams, south-facing slopes early season, old decaying timber stands, sycamores along creeks/wetlands, old decayed elm stands, fence rows on north side of fields where ya got the right decay/brush/trees. And, although I hear lots of folks out here finding them along streams/rivers, I guess I don't know how to hunt those areas because generally that is less productive for me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've never found any along active streams in the Ozarks (my area of Ozarks). I think too much flooding each spring and it deposits lots of sand. No good black organic dirt = no Morel. However, along tributaries that generally have only rain runoff, those seem to produce where you find organic black dirt. I look for dead/down trees. Unlike OKlahoma, I've never found any under a cedar in Ozarks. Oaks seem to be the spot, but I have 75% oak, 10% hickory, 10% walnut & 5% of everything else. So, if they are there, mostly gonna be under oaks just because. And, I've never found any on high ground (but, most of my high ground tends to be pastures so my database is lacking opportunity). Someone earlier said they found them on high ground. Interstingly, I noted this past week that wild prarie crabapples were in full bloom on ground that was 100' higher elevation than others that were just experiencing bud break. Sooo, high ground early season might be productive. It appears I need another hike to check that theory.
I find them in cedars all the time

·
Registered
10 Posts
In Missouri? Large cedars or small cedars? In open fields, or edge of woods, in woods? When I started finding them under cedars 5 yrs ago around OKCity, I started looking elsewhere, but to no avail. Any hints appreciated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I’ve heard many people swear by cedars, but I never have had luck with cedar groves ...ever.
I religiously comb the creek bottoms, too, without ever finding any.
For whatever reason, in the woods around my home, I find them up on the hilltops.
I have no explanation for it.

41 - 60 of 387 Posts