Missouri 2020 Season- Chasing the Motherload

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by kb, Mar 10, 2020.

1. beowulf75

beowulf75 Morel Connoisseur

Do you eat those, jmerx? I have, but they make me a tad nervous.

2. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

I dont eat them but I know alot of people that do!

1 person likes this.

3. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

I read the book before I knew they ate them I'm good there r plenty of others out there I know wont hurt me lol!

4. supplyguy1973

supplyguy1973 Morel Connoisseur

Specifically Eastern Red Cedars. They can be identified by bright yellow or orange gel like seed that grows from its limbs. They are a little smaller than a golf ball, but they are spikey, so easy to identify. They require a different PH level in the soil than most other typical cedars. So where to hunt, early on around the edges but as it warms up move in to the thicket, go slow and keep your eyes open. Good Luck

2 people like this.
  5. supplyguy1973

The good thing about the cedars is because they usually create a heavy cover that helps warm the ground slower than the other areas so they will produce later in the season.

3 people like this.
  6. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

sounds Painful..
    Thank You for Reporting to us all

Morel stomper likes this.
  7. scwehner

scwehner Morel Enthusiast

OK, I have what I've grown up calling "Easter Red Aromatic Cedars". I have many on the property 30' tall. I've been slowly erradicating them. When smaller, I've seen the colorful seeds mentioned. A assume just smaller version of the big cedars. While in OKCity, nothing at all grew under them and when everything was right, only morels would be under them---just scan from the side and there they are. But, that technique has failed me here in MO.

8. Canofveggies

Canofveggies Morel Enthusiast

IMG_2544.JPG Hi everyone! I found my first of the year (possibly my earliest ever) while trail running in Stl County. Little guy was sitting right by the trail near some cottonwoods. I feel pretty damn good about my eyes being ready for a big season if i can pick one out while running!

Happy picking everyone

9. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Where you at in Mo. supplyguy? I sure as yeck don't have luck on them up in the NW areas I look in. Or maybe you have more cedar. I would love to think spots in Mo. can equal what happens in some areas west of us.

2 people like this.
  10. trotline

trotline Morel Connoisseur

No mercy this year. I am taking vacation 18-27 and expect to hit the mother load. I have my routes planned based off last years finds in the river birch. Think it’s shaping up to be a great year as long as we are not under some sort of martial law at that time. Good luck I will post some pics. Also plan on setting some lines with Dad that week, hoping for hundred pounds of catfish but may be a bit early for them.

11. Ram60

Ram60 Morel Enthusiast

St Francois

1 person likes this.
  12. supplyguy1973

Southeast Missouri

2 people like this.
  13. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

If you do as good this year as last I will drive over that way this time. I should have last year. It may get to where I have to stay in Mo. Although when I travel I won't go in anywhere but the timber. I was looking at those river spots you messaged me about last year on google earth. which side of the river would I be on from that east ramp? the west or the other side of the river? No access to a boat, brother is getting a double hip replacement so there went the boat. I can walk many miles though so if it is on the other side I will just park on the east side of the area and walk back. Time is getting close. Keep pickin and grinnin

1 person likes this.
  14. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

He is alittle south of stl

15. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

I went out yesterday checked out a new spot looks real good alot of big ash trees cant wait hope I'm still of when it gets good

2 people like this.
  16. shroomdawg

shroomdawg Morel Connoisseur

Why the hell not? If you ain't gotta reason to hang around home make the roadie to Arky and OK

1 person likes this.
  17. JCreek

JCreek Morel Enthusiast

You know what? I have never found one of these in my life. Dad brought them home in my youth. Mom fried them up and we ate them. Guess she fried them well enough 'cuz I'm still here.

I never liked them. Huge things sometimes 14 inches around and Mom never sliced them thin enough to make them crisp. Kinda mushy with just a hint of morel flavor.

I wouldn't bother with them knowing what we do now. However, they say not to eat much bass and crappie now also....How they got full of lead and mercury is a burning question in my mind!

18. beowulf75

beowulf75 Morel Connoisseur

Wow. I wish I’d see fewer of these things and more black morels.

19. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

I agree I found about 10 r more yesterday and no morels :)

20. trotline

trotline Morel Connoisseur

Both spots require a boat to cross river. One spot you could walk in all public land but it is a long walk from the back side. Other spot you would be trespassing to get there. I guess they will just wither away this year. Good luck with your finds!