Missouri 2020 Season- Chasing the Motherload

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by kb, Mar 10, 2020.

1. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

So is foraging for food an essential activity???:cool::cool::cool:

2. Wugy

Wugy Morel Enthusiast

Sounds like someone snuck into Castlewood! :D Have a couple of spots there myself but not the greatest. Still sucks that they had to shut it down because people don't listen.

The size of those is impressive though. Out of my city spots only one had a couple just barely popping out of the ground as of Friday; gonna check up on them again today.

By this state's definitions it's not just one but TWO essential activities, getting food and exercise. Plus it's about as socially distanced as you can get. Hunting for morels is basically your civic duty now :cool:

By the way, there's this one wild onion-like plant that's coming up in droves, has flat leaves like garlic and is small so it looks exactly like lawn grass (with teeny bulbs underground), but smells just like onions when I walk through it and it makes me hungry. Is it a safe one to forage? I've read that all onion-smelling plants are safe to eat but I wanted to double-check with you guys!

3. beowulf75

beowulf75 Morel Connoisseur

I really think mine is trying to talk me to death.

4. Shroom Picker

Shroom Picker Morel Enthusiast

Absolutely

5. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

imagejpeg_0(1).jpg this 8sn9ne if the pics I sent earlier it actually grew!

6. Shroom Picker

Picked 52 today about 2 inches in warren county today. Found some nice clusters, but left a bunch to grow. Hope nobody stumbles across them.

7. Shroom Picker

Got to throw in a pic of the kids having fun.
    20200406_114305.jpg 20200406_114401.jpg

8. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

9. MoShroomer

MoShroomer Morel Enthusiast

Morel stomper and Shroom Picker like this.
  10. MoShroomer

MoShroomer Morel Enthusiast

So here’s a question... if someone sees your truck (an agent or an officer of some sort) will they ticket your vehicle if you are not on state or county park property, but it is apparent you may be on the park. Also if you do cross paths with said agent can they write you a ticket/ confiscate any foraged goods?... just asking for a friend...

1 person likes this.
  11. Wugy

Wugy Morel Enthusiast

Wow, those are some great finds! The ones at my spot definitely grew, but not a ton, still too small to pick, and the other spots still don't have anything popping up above the ground litter. I'm realizing that for a mushroom, morels actually grow rather slowly; most of the season's duration is just one growth period. Oysters can go from babies to overdone in a week. It's hard to resist the temptation to start looking for new spots, but I know I'll just mess myself up if I do this early.

Tell your.. friend it really depends on who you run into and what mood they're in, but this being Missouri and all, chances are if they see you they'll just tell you you can't be there and might sympathize with you or at least offer a dozen other places to try. It's a bit of a sacred tradition around here, after all...

One time in Connecticut there was a state park where a tornado tore down thousands of massive trees and I wanted to have a look first-hand. The entrances were closed, and I did notice an unusual amount of police cars on the road, but nonetheless I parked by the side of the road and strolled right in, took a bunch of pictures, hiked around leisurely, and eventually left. Only much later did I read in the news bits that they were actively patrolling and authorized to arrest anyone found on the park. Yeeeah...

12. Morel stomper

Morel stomper Morel Enthusiast

Glad to see my neices had fun with there dad. Im thinking friday we can check on some spots. Nice finds. Them clusters were very nice. The ones you picked will be tasty. I'm sure you picked them because of traffic in that area The ones you left im sure you covered them up a little. Keep them pics coming picker.

13. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

I believe they can ticket u

14. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

20200407_105443.jpg 20200407_105545.jpg 20200407_124218.jpg found 2 today really fresh so I left them to get bigger

15. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Nice pics. Took a stroll at Weston Bend on the paved bike path one nice day a week ago with family members and ran into 3 small snakes warming up on the path. Being babies yet I could not tell what kind they were. My wife did not appreciate them though. All the rain you have had over your way I would think you would have an above average year.

16. supplyguy1973

supplyguy1973 Morel Connoisseur

It is for me. I went out today and found about 10 black morels and 20 grey/yellows

17. supplyguy1973

supplyguy1973 Morel Connoisseur

You may be talking about, Ramps

18. xcityfolk

xcityfolk Morel Enthusiast

Lol, I saw the snake right away but spent another 30 seconds looking for the morels! :)

I found two last week, TWO. I ate them and now I can't think about anything else. How do only TWO grow?! I've spent probably 10 hours hunting since then (I like being outside :) ) and nothing. What a tease!!

moremorels.jpg

19. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

I think my area is about to blow up I would say between friday and wensday we will have bags full:cool: