Missouri Message Board 2016

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by missourishroommate, Mar 8, 2016.

1. vroomshroom

vroomshroom Morel Enthusiast

To mushroom_mentor on your video
    While I commend your effort you might want to fact check yourself before you help
    Viewers identify trees.....that most certainly is not an elm tree....
    Your bark and leaves are cottonwood

2. sustainable forager

sustainable forager Morel Connoisseur

Yeah they spammed every message board with their stupid video

3. jhoward1

jhoward1 Morel Enthusiast

Yes tulip morels are morchella deliciosa,.They are about the size of a baby carrot. Unfortunately they only appear solitary or in small troops. I never find a lot but they are a good indicator when to looking for the bigger morchell esculenta, grays and yellows. I start finding the grays and yellows about a week after i find tulips. I usually find grays first and then yellows.I went out today, exactly one week after finding tulips and found one small yellow. It has been too cold at night and too dry so i was lucky to find that one. I have been covering a lot of ground and have been skunked a lot this year.

4. jhoward1

You can identify m.deliciosa by its lack of cross ridges in between the longitudinal ridges.

5. mushroom_mentor

mushroom_mentor Morel Connoisseur

Hi guys! My partner and I are passionate about mushrooms, and are trying to spread the love. We've created a youtube channel for people who want to get started finding morels and for people who are into watching mushroom videos. Check out our second video and let us know what you think. Please subscribe so we can keep doing this. It would be great to be able to do this as a daily vlog channel so the support is necessary for that to happen. Thanks! https://youtu.be/dUxufP0AHqY

6. jeffschre

jeffschre Morel Enthusiast

Looking the the 14 day Precip Totals Map, might have to think about looking farther south around "Clinton/Warsaw" area.

Would be a long drive from KC to potentially still "come up empty" though.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  7. ms_ morel

ms_ morel Morel Enthusiast

<span style="color: indigo"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"><span style="font-size: large">To Jhoward1, Thank you for the rather informative reply.</span></span> </span>

8. jhoward1

Your wellcome ms morel. Morels are slowly coming into season this year. Search at todays pevely honey hole yielded 1 half free (m.semilibera), 3 tulips(m.deliciosa), 4 greys, and 3 small yellows(m. Esculenta)

9. ksmorelhunter

ksmorelhunter Morel Enthusiast

JHoward1, where in the state are you located if you don't mind me asking?

10. jhoward1

I live in jefferson county

11. ms_ morel

ms_ morel Morel Enthusiast

<span style="color: indigo"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">Thanks, again, Jhoward1. I, personally, think that better luck may be had after the rain that is the forecast for Sun-Mon of next week. Hopefully, some of that will reach you, too. We'll just have to wait and see what happens, eh? </span></span> :-D <span style="font-size: x-large"> </span>

12. jhoward1

The rain should definitely help. The little bit of rain we got last week has really helped already. 4-12-16 i found four m.esculenta(3 grays 1 yellow),one m.semilibera (snakehead), and six m.deliciosa(tulips) in pevely. On 4-13-16 i found seven m.deliciosa, 27 m.esculenta, and 9 frost bitten/damaged in imperial. Only two of the 27 m.esculenta were yellows, the others were grays, so theyre just now coming up. Thats kinda the natural progression of types of morels in the season with some overlap. Unfortunately morels are very pleomorphic, which means that depending on types of conditions ie temp, moisture, soil composition, they may look very different so identification is difficult. Morels also fruit in flushes, the first flush is usually small with only several mushrooms coining up, then if conditions are right, the fungis regroups its nutrients and sends up a large flush of mushrooms. So return to your honey hole cause it might keep producing until nutrients run out or conditions aren't right anymore.

13. taterqueen913

taterqueen913 Morel Enthusiast

Yeh our usual good spots are still too dry and crunchy. Getting lots of excercise but little to show for it this year. Hope the rain comes and it does help. Found only 12 all afternoon yesterday 4-13-2016. mixture of types as well, half already dried out and 3 of the 12 were frost damaged.

Guess we got used to being spoiled and we don't know how to take a less than stellar year. Early set so there's always hope. Last year I had quite along season finding actually more in suburban type areas in grass towards the later part of the season, so maybe???

Read a very interesting article about lightning helping mushrooms fruit if it's not too much of a direct hit on the area but close by....be interested in seeing how that comes out as a friends yard that produces mushrooms --their tree got stuck by lightning last year and borders the area that produces. I'll report back at the end of the season of that really worked or not. :) Mushroom theories and science are always interesting.
    Good luck fellow hunters. On the bright side haven't found any ticks yet.

14. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

No ticks yet, yeah i noticed that to. Weird. Also noticed large bunches of morels are hard to come by this year. Drove 90 miles to the line and picked a couple lbs. mostly bottoms, some hills. Very Dry. Lots of ones and twos on perfect elms that should have been loaded. If it rains I'll go back and hit them again, Local lilacs were almost in full bloom.

15. jhoward1

Its true for me too, im usually sweating as i trudge through woods, smacking mosquitos, spraying bug repellant, and still itching from chiggers. But non of that this year yet.

16. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

The tics r out on the east side of Missouri!

17. jmerx

jmerx Morel Connoisseur

I was wondering if anyone is going to make it to the Mushroom Festival in Pere Marquette?

18. newb87

newb87 Morel Connoisseur

Just got back from from stomping around the bottoms and found a couple pounds in 1 hour, would still be out there but the boss lady called me asking if I had the key to the other car... Just I was about to tell her why would I have it i pulled them out of my pocket. Found a patch of at least 75-100 out in direct sunlight around a elm but over half of them were shriveled up the size of grapes.

19. workhardcamphard

workhardcamphard Young Morel

Ticks in SW MO as well. We took our in town/in house pup and he was covered with them after our 3 hours in the deep woods. We picked about 4 off ourselves as well.

20. newb87

newb87 Morel Connoisseur

[​IMG]

There's about 50 in this pic believe it or not but half if not more were toasted like they popped up before these. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've been pretty lucky with the ticks, have only seen 2 on me the whole 2 dozen times I've made it out. Even if it's just a little this rain I think will make one more small flash. Nothing crazy but enough to get a skillet or 2's worth.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017