Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found some today, not enough for a mess but hoping to find more.

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
I live in NE Ohio, so no competition to you guys. I find plenty of yellows, but have never found a black. Just curious, what trees do you look for and ground temps?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in NE Ohio, so no competition to you guys. I find plenty of yellows, but have never found a black. Just curious, what trees do you look for and ground temps?[/QUOTE
I don’t really pay much attention to the trees where I find the morels. Black morels usually doesn’t favor any trees. I found them growing in open areas, sometimes in the middle of a path in the woods.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Interesting. I've found some yellows the same way walking a two track through the woods. Have almost crushed some underfoot, or noticed them growing right alongside the track. Have also spotted some that didn't seem associated with any trees at all! Just growing near the path kind of spang out in the open.

·
Registered
562 Posts
True that! I belong to a fish & game club which is where I hunt most of my morels. A fellow member who has taught me a lot about 'shroom hunting found a giant yellow near the boat park by the dock! He spotted it driving past in his truck! It was 14.5" tall and 4.5" in diameter at its widest point! People had been driving and walking past it for days and never noticed it!

It's about the last place I'd expect to find a morel. Since then I've started looking in unlikely places and have had some success.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Last year I found a bunch of them around Sycamore of all trees! The elm-morel connection seems pretty well played out around here (NE Ohio). I also found some in the vicinity of an enormous old Cottonwood at my fish & game club. I do a lot of looking there. We have 2,200 acres and a bazillion dead elms! I've found morels under exactly 2 of them. We also have a lot of apple trees scattered around, and that's where I concentrate. Found the others just by chance looking through new areas.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Shroomsearcher. The blacks I have found in NE ohio grow in absolute wacky places.

Under rail timbers along paths with no usual trees and in old roads growing between rocks patches of dirt, maybe a few sycamores or black cherry trees in the near by.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These were I picked last Friday, the same spot from where I found them Monday. 35 black beauties.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
737 Posts
I live in NE Ohio, so no competition to you guys. I find plenty of yellows, but have never found a black. Just curious, what trees do you look for and ground temps?
Blacks are the first to come up. In my experience blacks can be found in any healthy hardwood forest, they can also be found under Aspen trees. If I see a smaller Maple growing on a mound or any tree that has moss growing around it I
head that way.

·
Super Moderator
737 Posts
This may seem crazy, or at least I found it odd. I found 2.5lbs of beautiful giant yellows under a cedar patch on the edge of a field a few years back. Goes to show they will grow ANYWHERE!
I have found that a mix of ash and northestern hemlock is a great combination.

·
Super Moderator
737 Posts
Last year I found a bunch of them around Sycamore of all trees! The elm-morel connection seems pretty well played out around here (NE Ohio). I also found some in the vicinity of an enormous old Cottonwood at my fish & game club. I do a lot of looking there. We have 2,200 acres and a bazillion dead elms! I've found morels under exactly 2 of them. We also have a lot of apple trees scattered around, and that's where I concentrate. Found the others just by chance looking through new areas.
I have found both trees to have Morels around them.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This may seem crazy, or at least I found it odd. I found 2.5lbs of beautiful giant yellows under a cedar patch on the edge of a field a few years back. Goes to show they will grow ANYWHERE!
A few years ago it was a super dry year and I found the attached photo of a yellow growing under a bench on a heavy travelled trail, I pulled out over a pound during the worst season I ever had- in heavy oak.
I’m from Iowa and blacks are really uncommon. I have one place. They grow in an area with cottonwood and some sort of conifer. In Iowa morels grow around elm and no flood zones of cottonwood but only randomly around conifers. The drought of 2015 killed theconifers near the blacks and my area of blacks that was good for over 30 years produced a lot less. I have no idea if there is a correlation but the other morels still produces fine.
The other attachment shows a late season yellow next to a black

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Loving the info. For me, I figure it's 3 weeks away at least. Got the chance to check out my ramp patch today. I knew it was early, but just wanted to get out and walk around the woods a bit. There was absolutely NO sign of any ramp activity. I'll be cutting grass before anything shroomy or rampy is happening here.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts