morel certification claas

Discussion in 'Indiana' started by smokey, Apr 2, 2015.

1. smokey

smokey Morel Enthusiast

Anybody here go to the morel certification class. I went last Saturday in South Bend

2. gbmillerman

gbmillerman Young Morel

I was, sitting in the front row. I was the guy with the long hair

3. smokey

smokey Morel Enthusiast

Thats great really enjoyed the class. Had a lot of people saying they never heard about the class. But I'm looking forward to the fall class. Happy Hunting

4. gbmillerman

gbmillerman Young Morel

Ya me too, it was a really good class

5. cwlake

cwlake Morel Connoisseur

Smokey, what did it certify you???? Does this mean you are more knowledgeable than before? What is the benefit from being certified?

6. smokey

smokey Morel Enthusiast

The state of Indiana offered A class so people can be certified on Morel mushrooms. With this certification we can sell Morel mushrooms. It covered morels as well as look alike. Taught us how to process mushroom for selling. This law goes into effect in 2016,you must be certifed to sell morels. Also with passing this class we will now able to attend a second class on summer and fall mushrooms for selling to stores, and yes i am now more knowledgeable than before the class

7. rcurtis1990

rcurtis1990 Young Morel

I attended the Bloomington class. We had a packed house! This was a very informative class on proper handling/processing of the morels and the identification of what a true morel is verses false morels. Well worth the time to me. smokey - I also heard from many people that they had never heard of being certified. Honestly I'm surprised that it took the State to mandate this since people are selling produce (morels) to the general public. Glad that these classes are being offered now.

8. morelsandmanners

morelsandmanners Morel Connoisseur

thanks for the info smokey

9. smokey

smokey Morel Enthusiast

Hey rcurtis, you been out looking? heard they found some blacks in Mitchell. Keep us posted when you get into them. Because i shouldn't be to far behind here in the north ..... Happy Hunting

10. cwlake

cwlake Morel Connoisseur

Smokey, thanks for sharing. I never find enough to worry about selling but at least know enough to be dangerous, lol. I've always wondered if that guy on the corner selling morels out of his van was legal.

11. rcurtis1990

rcurtis1990 Young Morel

Haven't found any yet Smokey. Hoping to get out this week after work. My hunting spots are about 2 hours north of Bloomington, so if they are finding them in Mitchell this weekend, I can't be too much farther behind them. Will post a new message when I find some though. Happy Hunting!! :wink:

12. smokey

smokey Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for posting folks like it when people share. I will be out this weekend looming but mostly looking to see who.else is lurking in the woods

13. hickory chick magnet

hickory chick magnet Morel Connoisseur

I was in the second row...in Southbend...it was fun, test was pretty easy