Morel Dinner Pics & Recipes

Discussion in 'Mushroom Dinner Pics & Recipes' started by sb, Aug 8, 2019.

1. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

For some reason it will not let me post the recipe it says it is spam.

1 person likes this.
  2. barndog

barndog Morel Connoisseur

Can you send it to me in PM? I know it's more work but maybe type it?

Mostly I need to know about the dough and cook time/temp. I think pizza dough will work.

beagleboy likes this.

3. Tool fan

Tool fan Morel Connoisseur

are there any bad words lol it always says that to me if I say a$$ or sh!t

Inthewild, Kokomorel and beagleboy like this.
  4. beagleboy

I tried to send you a private message and it said it was too long. I used the french bread dough I made with my bread machine but I am sure pizza dough would work. I baked it 15 min at 450 then reduced heat to 375 and baked another 10 min. The morels are saute' beforehand. I also used ramp leaves chopped and chopped peppers.

Kokomorel and Tool fan like this.
  5. beagleboy

barndog, I kept trying and finally figured out a way to post it. I made into a picture and uploaded it like I was doing a picture. I guess where there's a will there is a way. ;)

Tool fan and (deleted member) like this.
  6. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Beagleboy & Tool fan: both look delish! Thanks for sharing.

7. barndog

I am going to try to make one. Makes my mouth water just looking at it.

Thanks for all the effort. I really appreciate it!

8. Morel Insanity

Morel Insanity Morel Enthusiast

Finally, after 3 tries today, the pics loaded for me. Adding my thanks too, to both of you, for sharing! We're vegetarian, but the meat dishes also give us much appreciated ideas.

No pics, but we've had 2 nights of ramp and garlic mustard pesto on pasta, and it was wonderful. Really can't wait for the morels to pop here!

beagleboy and Tool fan like this.
  9. beagleboy

MY wife doesn't like morels but she will eat this.

10. barndog

This may take a post or two but I wanted to give a detailed recipe for Merkel Pizza.

I start with a Chef Boyardee pizza kit, home canned pizza sauce, onion, cheese, Jimmy Dean Sage sausage, extra pepperoni and of course Morels.

First preheat the oven to 200 and mix the two dough packets with 1 cup warm water, I usually add just a dash more water to get it mixed up. Put in bowl and add a bit of olive oil, rub it around in bowl to discourage sticking and place in oven to rise. It is ready when the dough has doubled in size, about 10-15 minutes.

While the dough is rising, cut up your onion and prepare the other ingredients.

Pepperoni is very greasy. Put the pepperoni on a plate with paper towels and microwave just enough to melt out the grease. If you don't remove the excess grease your pizza will have a pool of grease on the top.

Brown the sausage and put in strainer to drain. Again excess grease makes bad pizza.

Cut up any other toppings you like such as green pepper, regular mushrooms, etc.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  11. barndog

Grease your favorite pan, I use Olive oil, and sprinkle with corn meal to discourage sticking.

Roll out your dough, I sprinkle it with flour while rolling to keep it from sticking to the counter top and rolling pin. Put the rolled out dough on the pan.

Add the sauce from the kit and I use another pint of homemade sauce I canned last summer. The sauce included in the kit is not enough for my taste.

Add the Pepperoni then the sausage, then the morels, onion and other toppings as you like.

Cheese last and I sprinkle it with some extra Italian Seasoning, little Oregano and some dried hot peppers from my garden.

Attached Files:

12. barndog

I had plenty of Merkels so I put a few more on the top for looks.

Bake at 425 on middle rack for about 20 minutes. It is done when the edges are brown and the cheese is brown to your liking. I have a gas convection oven so your cook time could vary.

Let stand 5 minutes and enjoy!

Attached Files:

13. Morel Insanity

My internet is being ridiculous, so I hope this works.

@barndog , thank you for sharing, that looks delicious! The posts from you and @beagleboy have inspired me to take out and thaw some bergamot bread dough my husband made that didn't rise properly. He remade the bread [yum!], but I couldn't bear to throw the previous dough out, so I froze it in two parts with the hope we could use it as a pizza or mini calzone crust. We can experiment with some now, and maybe have it perfected for the second batch when the morels arrive!

14. Morel Insanity

Just got the dough pressed out into a cookie sheet for pizza tonight, and we've decided to reconstitute and cook our last little baggie of dehydrated morels to put on it, along with fresh ramps and obscene amounts [I hope] of grated cheddar cheese. Working with what we have on hand. I'm a horrible picture-taker, but might try a couple to post here. Either way, I'm sure it'll be tasty!

2 people like this.
  15. MoonRabbit

MoonRabbit Morel Enthusiast

Made this delicious appetizer tonight.

20200426_214403.jpg

Saute chopped red onions and garlic in butter until they start to get a little color, around 2 mins. Lower heat, add prepped morels ( half a pound) cook for a few minutes until moisture is cooked away. Add pepper, some chopped chives and 2 tablespoons of extra dry vermouth. Cover and cook for a few minutes until vermouth cooks away. Add 1/4 cup of cream and cook until thick to your liking.

Cut up some focaccia. I'm using a homemade sourdough focaccia I made the other day, very delicious! Top with smoked gouda and toast in oven until warm and slightly melted. Spoon morels on top.

16. Tool fan

Tool fan Morel Connoisseur

Looks so goooouda!!!

17. Morel Insanity

Last night's dinner!

First pic is mid-prep: bergamot leaf pizza dough [bread dough that didn't rise!] with marinara sauce, butter fried morels, fresh ramps, and grated cheddar cheese.

morel ramp bergamot garlic mustard pizza uncooked resize.jpg

Before we cooked, we added fresh garlic mustard greens and soy chunks boiled in veggie broth.

Second pic is right out of the oven.

morel ramp bergamot garlic mustard pizza cooked resize.jpg

Crust was quite thin and a bit crunchy on the edges, so we got a taste of almost-burnt cheese and tomato. Little bursts of butter from the morels, and broth from the soy chunks, plus all the wonderful flavors and textures from each individual topping. It would have only been better if we had more morels on it, but we saved a couple for omelettes this week. Our budget is very tight, and we felt like we were having gourmet food! I guess we actually were. :D

18. barndog

That looks yummy! Wish I had a piece for lunch.

Morel Insanity and Tool fan like this.
  19. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

Is spam one of the ingredients??