Morel Hunt Wanted for Father

Discussion in 'Wisconsin' started by neitman, May 3, 2015.

1. neitman

neitman Young Morel

My father is a 94 yr (on May 7th) Marine living in Green Bay Wi. I am his son living in Everett Wa. I am coming up to surprise him on his birthday (5/7) and I will be there 5/7-5/16. He has always loved mushrooms and picking, but has been limited to Shaggy Manes and what he called "Pinkies". Morels are things of legend to him. I would love to take him out morel hunting, to someplace that he'd be sure to find some and EASY access (he's 94 remember?) I would pay for a successful hunt (negotiable) and would give my word that the location would not be given out or used again. He wouldn't be able to and I'm too far away. I would just like to give him the oppertunity to see and collect some on his own (more or less). I know pickins are slim now, but it looks like some rain may come the week I am in town. So my timing may be right. If you can help me, please respond ASAP. Ph4252120343

2. crashtattoo

crashtattoo Morel Enthusiast

That has got to be the coolest Birthday present I've ever heard of... Wish I could help...hope it all works out for you and your Daddy.

3. agate

agate Young Morel

That's a great idea neitman.

Someone that lives near Green Bay should find a small patch of morels and then lead neitman there. Then he could come back later with his dad to pick them.

Preferably some place near Green Bay, and also that would be close enough to the morels for a 94 year old man to walk from a car. (I am several hours away from Green Bay or I would do this. And I'm still tempted)

Hopefully the morel season cooperates with your trip window, neitman. Keep us updated on how this is going/works out.

GL!. :)

4. freeflow581

freeflow581 Morel Enthusiast

I live in gb. We need rain....i have an easy acess spot were i found first of year....we would share....for free...

Text sent

5. nomeo

nomeo Young Morel

Bless your heart Freeflow, thats LOVE (let it come back too you)! Please share with us how this story ends! Maybe even a picture!!!

6. neitman

neitman Young Morel

I'm flying out tonight and taking the "red-eye" to GB. Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I've had 2 very generous offers of help and I'm in contact with both of them. I tried this same deal about 5 years ago and made contact withy a gentleman that worked for Brown County. I believe it was my dad's 90th birthday or close. But it all fell through because the area had one of those lingering winters that I remember so well from my childhood. And my morel contact told me that nothing was up in his usual places. Seems they started coming up about 2 weeks after I had returned to Washington. So maybe with a little rain, this time will be a charm. I will let everyone know how it ends. Regards.

7. morel rat

morel rat Morel Connoisseur

I sure wish I lived down that way. I would for sure take the oldman out picking!!!
    Just to see the look on his face picking Morels. would be Pricless..
    I hope it all works out. as you should be in almost prime picking.
    Good Luck and Godbless<span style="color: blue"> </span>

8. freeflow581

went to one of my honey holes and checked it...then called neitman to have him bring his father down. nice guys....he was happy to find a few...early yellows here...(and a few ramps to boot in same spot ;)...life is good...season is open up here

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  9. wildmushroom2005

wildmushroom2005 Young Morel

what a wonderful story all around made me smile . Such a happy story to pass around of a sons love for his father and such a kind act from a caring stranger Glad everything worked out

10. chelina

chelina Morel Enthusiast

This just makes my heart happy, thanks for sharing guys. What a great son and what a great gift. This is what life is all about, unforgettable experiences. I think I will sleep better knowing how this tale ended

11. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

Good job freeflow, funny my birthday is May 7th also. Life is good, guys like you make it so. Have a great season.

12. crashtattoo

crashtattoo Morel Enthusiast

You are a good Man Freeflow not just anyone would give the location of his shrooms ... Neitman I'm happy to see it all worked out..... this is by far the Coolest, most thoughtful Birthday gifts I have ever heard of...Neitman... You are a good son... there should be more like you. :)

13. george

george Young Morel

Freeflow you're a credit to mankind. Here's to ya'

14. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Freeflow, may your goodness be rewarded a thousand-fold! For those of us fortunate to know of it, few things in life are so special as the awakening woods and springtime foraging. Your act of kindness is what memories and legends are made of. You, Neitman and dad have together woven some tight threads in the crazy quilt of humanity. Remarkable story. Bravo!

15. neitman

neitman Young Morel

All went great! My request for a "canned" hunt was answered by two gentlemen. Pat answered by text and "Freeflow" answered by email. "Freeflow" has already posted part of the story. What he didn't post was the fact that he generously also gave my father and myself a plane ride over the (Green) Bay area. And gave us advice and location suggestions that allowed us to collect some morels on our own. Between the morels and the plane ride and my total surprise vist, it was a birthday my father will never forget.With the knowledge we gained my dad and I were able to collect about 75 additional morels on our own, far from "Freeflow's" special areas. And our area was passed on to him for his future use. Then at end of week we got to meet "Pat", who texted me earlier. Pat is a very enthusiastic morel hunter and like "Freeflow", showed/offered us some morels at one of his areas and gave us a bunch of advice based on his experience. Both of these shroomers are probably in need of a 12 step program for morel addiction, but my dad and I loved meeting them both. We enjoyed the company, we enjoyed the hunt and of course we enjoyed eating morels everyday I was there. And I even got to pack some home to my family in Seattle area. So, thank ALL of you! <strong> :lol:

16. freeflow581

Aerial Morel hunting LOL

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017