Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First 50 degree day this year gots me thinking of grilling season. My friend @Motherload (who is forever with me in spirit) made something similar in his house. I just used what I had. Jane's Crazy Mixed-Up Salt is product that has great flavor and you basically can't put enough on a steak or burger. Did you know that a pint of dried Morels equates to approximately 1.5oz.? It's like ground angel wings, a whole lot of mass, but no weight. Grind Morels and Mix'em together (I did 50/50) and enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like to brag that this is the best thing since sliced toast, but still rather bland. Sorry I call them as I see them, even if its my own making. Maybe increase the morel ratio to 75% or just grind morels and use them straight.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would like to brag that this is the best thing since sliced toast, but still rather bland. Sorry I call them as I see them, even if its my own making. Maybe increase the morel ratio to 75% or just grind morels and use them straight.
None of us older farts need that much salt. I use "dust" on venison medallions. It is some of the best stuff i ever threw down my pie hole..

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ve been experimenting with making salt for the last two seasons. Last year for my first batch, I was nervous about using straight dehydrated morels since they were not cooked. I took some dehydrated morels, rehydrated very lightly so as not to lose much flavor to extra liquid, and then baked the moisture back out. I then ground it up with salt as you did. I was similarly disappointed because not only was there not much flavor, it there was also some toasty flavor from top much time in the oven. Not my intention. I put it in the back of the cupboard and when I pulled it out maybe 6 months later, it turned out to have an excellent sweet morel smell! It was delicious.

This year I tried to cook some from the start, by slicing and baking while fresh until just heated up, and followed up with the dehydrator to dry them out completely. I plan to grind them up with salt similar to you, then age for several months. I’ll report back.

bottom line for anyone who is disappointed, at least give it a chance at aging it before tossing it or using it like regular salt.

·
Registered
230 Posts
bottom line for anyone who is disappointed, at least give it a chance at aging it before tossing it.
I tried that with a couple of marriages with less than desirable results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts