Morel Salt

Discussion in 'Mushroom Dinner Pics & Recipes' started by Inthewild, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

First 50 degree day this year gots me thinking of grilling season. My friend @Motherload (who is forever with me in spirit) made something similar in his house. I just used what I had. Jane's Crazy Mixed-Up Salt is product that has great flavor and you basically can't put enough on a steak or burger. Did you know that a pint of dried Morels equates to approximately 1.5oz.? It's like ground angel wings, a whole lot of mass, but no weight. Grind Morels and Mix'em together (I did 50/50) and enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

i will try that...
    Thank You

Tool fan and (deleted member) like this.

3. Inthewild

Enjoying breakfast today, with a hint of Morels. Warmer temperatures coming will get me grilling soon.

Attached Files:

4. guff76

guff76 Morel Connoisseur

Yes I agree with @wade imma have to give that a whirl

5. Inthewild

I would like to brag that this is the best thing since sliced toast, but still rather bland. Sorry I call them as I see them, even if its my own making. Maybe increase the morel ratio to 75% or just grind morels and use them straight.

Kokomorel and Already Gone like this.
  6. Already Gone

Already Gone Morel Connoisseur

None of us older farts need that much salt. I use "dust" on venison medallions. It is some of the best stuff i ever threw down my pie hole..

Kokomorel and Inthewild like this.
  7. rationalcog

rationalcog Morel Enthusiast

I’ve been experimenting with making salt for the last two seasons. Last year for my first batch, I was nervous about using straight dehydrated morels since they were not cooked. I took some dehydrated morels, rehydrated very lightly so as not to lose much flavor to extra liquid, and then baked the moisture back out. I then ground it up with salt as you did. I was similarly disappointed because not only was there not much flavor, it there was also some toasty flavor from top much time in the oven. Not my intention. I put it in the back of the cupboard and when I pulled it out maybe 6 months later, it turned out to have an excellent sweet morel smell! It was delicious.

This year I tried to cook some from the start, by slicing and baking while fresh until just heated up, and followed up with the dehydrator to dry them out completely. I plan to grind them up with salt similar to you, then age for several months. I’ll report back.

bottom line for anyone who is disappointed, at least give it a chance at aging it before tossing it or using it like regular salt.

Inthewild likes this.
  8. Already Gone

Already Gone Morel Connoisseur

I tried that with a couple of marriages with less than desirable results.