Morel Season 2013

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by david - sw il, Apr 12, 2013.

1. david - sw il

david - sw il Morel Connoisseur

Headed out today for the first hunt of the season. Cool weather had me discouraged, but with the dandelions starting to show up, the henbit in full color, and the redbuds swelling, I had to get out. Looked high and low, long and hard...and finally found the first of the season in my early patch! Game on in SW IL(Jersey Co.)!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. stizzle

stizzle Young Morel

David,
    So glad to have found you. i hope i see more of our old friends too. metal, ipanic2mark, shroomit, ect ect.!....a lot of help from y'all in the past. good luck and happy hunting i am going to start looking inn Monroe county on monday!

3. phillipellison

phillipellison Morel Enthusiast

I failed to mention this outing took place yesterday. Oops. :)

4. init1

init1 Morel Enthusiast

How far south are you Phillip?? Round Springfield myself

5. phillipellison

We are near Carbondale. We will be hunting in your area a couple weeks from now while visiting family.

6. init1

init1 Morel Enthusiast

Maybe ill see ya then Phillip. I drove two hours south today guess it wasn't far enough. Still a nice walk in the woods, getting the legs ready for when they pop. Good hunting to you sir!

7. got no morels

got no morels Morel Enthusiast

I'm out in Pingree grove il it's Kane county il I'm going crazy. I need help desperately to figure when is a good time and or where to go to better my chances I've been reading up but would appreciate if I can get some help from someone who might know the area? That can give me pointers. Please I beg of you pleeeeese ALSO other areas near me huntly morengo

8. metal

metal Morel Enthusiast

Great to hear David. It's chilly up here still. Nothing really greening up yet in the forest. Bud's just starting to form on tree's and shrub's. Lawns are just starting to get some good color. We got some good rain, now we need some warmth. It'll be a couple, three weeks till anything comes up. I'm figuring last week of April into first week of May. Ground temps 3'' down on my thermo were 48 degress a couple day's ago. I hope it isn't gonna be a short season? What a completely different setting from last year. Stizzle, good luck to you. Everyone, please remember not to litter.

9. phillipellison

Today we ventured into a new area and found mostly "toy" morels and a few blacks. We are supposed to get some good rain this week. The rain will set the season in to full steam ahead. :) Happy hunting to all.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  10. boom monster

boom monster Morel Enthusiast

Found one small black today and that is it! In 12 years if hunting I've never found a black lol. Carbondale area

11. shroomit

shroomit Morel Connoisseur

Sup y'all , man I liked the old format better minus trolls.

Was in Johnson Cty last weekend and saw loads of dandelions in yards, figured you'd start finding early shrooms by now.

Turkey opener in the morning, can't wait for shrooms :lol:

12. bud

bud Morel Enthusiast

Thanks, David. Wont be too much longer here in Macon County then. Good luck to you and all the old-schoolers from the old site!

13. shroomit

What county please ?

14. shroomit

Nice , seems season might be just getting good in S IL

Scouted in Peoria today... found some may apples 6-7" tall

15. hudson27

hudson27 Morel Enthusiast

Nice pics! I went out today in peoria but still nothing! Im sure with all the rain we got it wont be long...im thinking oll find something by this weekend!

16. hudson27

hudson27 Morel Enthusiast

I just googles may apples...bc for some reason i wasnt exactly sure what they were...i see them every spring and saw soooo many today....didnt realize thats what they were called....now im wondering what do these mayapples mean for morels?

17. shroomit

Just a sign morels are around. May apples are all over , so I never look for them to be where I look. However they are typically in eyesight when I do find them