Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am pretty new to Morel hunting and am trying to learn where blacks grow best versus yellows. Are they specific to different types of trees? For example, do yellows grow best with Elms and tulips, but blacks grow best with ash or sycamore? Super excited about the season and since blacks come earlier I was hoping to narrow down my tree search early and expand on it later.

·
Registered
374 Posts
In Kentucky for black morels I focus primarily on woods that have a lot of tulip or yellow poplars. I find most of mine on east and north facing hillsides or near the crest of those ridges again facing east and north. I do find some near or around beech and pignut hickories but there are almost always poplar nearby also. If the woods are predominantly oak I don’t even bother to look. Most of my better black morels spots are in extremely hilly terrain. When prospecting for new patches I often start at the base of east and north facing hillside and work my way uphill in the morning with the sun to my back. They’re easier to see that way. Also, when you find one, always kneel down and scan 360 degrees around that spot. Rarely is there only 1 growing by itself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts