1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Morel Storage

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by paulhans79, May 11, 2015.

1. paulhans79

paulhans79 Morel Enthusiast

What is everybody's favorite way to freeze mushrooms? I've got some extras I am needing to store for a few months.

2. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

I clean and slice them. Whiz them in a salad spinner. Place them in a bowl of flour, shake, and lightly flour them. Lay on wax paper on a tray, fast freeze, and bag.

They're all ready to go when the butter is hot on Christmas morning. Add 10-15 at a time (keeping the butter hot) until skillet is full. Fry as usual, until crisp.

You'll never know they were frozen.

Glad you hauled in enough to ask! Woohoo! :p

3. paulhans79

Thanks for the tips Shroom god! I was on the verge of giving up and getting skunked for the season when I happened across these. I went from contemplating giving up on mushroom hunting and just paying the $25 per pound each season but now that I finally found a load of them I'm already excited for next year!

4. paulhans79

Several people seem to think frying them for a couple minutes to partially cook them before freezing is better. I don't understand why that would make them any better but would like to hear from some people that do it that way. I'm leaning towards doing most or all of them with Shroom god's method but I might try a couple with crackers instead of flour also.

5. old picker

old picker Morel Enthusiast

I use Shroom Gods method but I freeze some with no flour and saute them in butter & red wine to have with a steak its awsome.

6. gotroom

gotroom Young Morel

I have also cut them in half set them on a tray in the basement where it's cool and dry for a week or two to dry. Then freeze them. When you want to use them later just rehydrate in warm water for 10-15 minutes and they're great.