Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could never stop thinking about these delicious mushrooms since I was lucky enough to stumble on a spot in CT. I now live in North Texas and am planning a trip up to southern OK this spring to look around. I looked last year in TX and found nothing. I’m familiar with most host trees, might just need to be in the right place at the right time when the water tables are up. Any suggestions for a beginner in this area would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
8 Posts
You may not have to go OK to find morels. I live in NTX. There are morels around. The trick is timing and weather. If the weather is too dry and warm there may be few and fruit for a Brief period of just 3-5 days. Timing- I used to find that the prime time was 4/1 , +/- a week. Last year it started at least 3/15 and maybe even earlier. Last year was the best I have ever seen due to a warm early March followed by 10 days of cooler and rainy weather. Good luck.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I live near Tyler Texas and I usually pick about 30lbs a year. Looking for the wrong trees. Looks for Elms early in the season then switch to cedars and oaks late in the season. Start looking when temps reach the 60's during the day and above the mid 40's at night. I have found them as early as mid February.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts