MORELS 2013

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Apr 9, 2013.

1. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

What we think about all winter long the start of the Morel season. Post your finds here. Stay safe and Happy Hunting.

2. mushieman

mushieman Young Morel

this is my second year of hunting I have learned a lot more by reading and under standing what I am looking for to my under standing morels will start coming out any day now I live around moraine state park could any please be kind in helping me out with a few tips on find any this year thanks and happy hunting

3. shroomluv

shroomluv Young Morel

Nothing like a few warm days to stir up the taste buds!! Hoping for a glorious pickin season!!

4. rippers

rippers Morel Enthusiast

mushieman... Moraine is loaded with all of the right stuff... So is McConnell's Mill area... tons of spots up your way. Tip for finding grays and yellows: Learn your elms. Seriously! Until you get a feel for what areas look right stick to the elms. Not the giant type street line elms but the small and mid size elms. Study them until you could spot them in an instant from fifty yards away. That means by bark and general shape. Several trees have identical leaves and morel season is usually over by the time the leaves flush. Later you can graduate to which elms and where. For now, check them all... 2 or 3 seasons in and you will learn how not to waste time. Good luck!

5. rippers

rippers Morel Enthusiast

mushie... I forgot to mention: dont get discouraged if you dont find them in the coming days... I doubt there will be any significant flush of morels in your area until the last few days of April.

6. rippers

rippers Morel Enthusiast

Trahn... Happy 2013! PENS vs CAR April 27 should be the SWPA flush for greys/yellows... haha... Hope all is well with you and your future hunting partner!

7. yergaderga

yergaderga Morel Enthusiast

Anyone know where to find them near Carlisle? Any tips on finding elm trees etc?

8. trahn008

Rip, good to hear from you.... Happy 2013..... Not going to make it out to the burgh this spring maybe a fall trip to see the steelers/Hens. Good Luck with the morels. Should be a good season this year!

9. mushieman

mushieman Young Morel

thanks rippers for the advice. I went out yesterday and I did find a false. so it was not a bad day still had fun with the family

10. avirosa

avirosa Young Morel

Vergaderga, North Mountain, look around spring seeps and where the slope drops down steeply to a flat bottom.

11. k_milillo

k_milillo Young Morel

I'm working out of town in the southern bedford/cumberland,MD area. I'd like to go mushroom hunting a bit this evening. Does anyone know where they grow?

12. trahn008

13. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

Found three <span style="text-decoration:underline">blondes</span> 2day in Fayette County in my early black spot, 17 Apr 2013??? Have photos but on smartiphone so I'm not sharing as I don't know how to remove location info.

14. a_fuhs

a_fuhs Morel Enthusiast

first hunt of year today, ground looks good but a bit to cold yet! the forest floor is about ready to explode w life here in butler..... nxt week should b first flushes here. good luck all!!!

Mushieman= dont worry bout lookn in moraine, nothin pops there:)

15. moreldon

moreldon Morel Enthusiast

Found 21 small grey morels on an early, south-facing slope spot today in Centre County. All were related to elm trees. I'll try to post a picture if I can figure it out. Given my records, and the forecast, we could see decent yellows within a week. I wish I could get on to the blacks....just can't figure them out. Good luck all.

16. wildshroomer

wildshroomer Morel Enthusiast

Was out for 15 mins today at a local spot in Northumberland co. and found these 3 small blacks.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg274/rustycharlie2004/hunting-fishing-outdoors/2013%20Mushrooms/4-17-13_zpsb2e86848.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg274/rustycharlie2004/hunting-fishing-outdoors/2013%20Mushrooms/4-17-131_zpsf662f670.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg274/rustycharlie2004/hunting-fishing-outdoors/2013%20Mushrooms/4-17-132_zps5f9076bf.jpg

17. moreldon

Found 4-17-13, Central PA [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  18. johnk

johnk Morel Enthusiast

Hey moreldon, what part of central PA are you in? I was out in Centre County yesterday and saw nothing. Also to my surprise it was quite dry, couldn't figure that out after the storm the night before. I still think it's another week or so. My apple trees still haven't bloomed, a sure sign to go out hunting.

19. moreldon

johnk - they were found in centre co.

I also found some spots to be dry, but this area usually remains moist, and gets full southern sun exposure - strange combo. I guess that's why it's an early producer.

20. lulumorel

lulumorel Young Morel

Found near Philadelphia!!!! 5 or so small ones. WOOT! Image to come when I figure out how from my phone.