MORELS 2014

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Mar 7, 2014.

1. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

BTW I didn't pick those.LOL

2. outdrsinpa

outdrsinpa Young Morel

Found half dozen blacks today, first of the year. Still small but rain will get them going.

3. wildshroomer

wildshroomer Morel Connoisseur

Was out this morning for a little...found about a dozen or so...left them to grow...here's a couple pics..

[​IMG]

4. wildshroomer

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg274/rustycharlie2004/2014/Mushrooms/2014-04-24_08-21-35_671_zpszavgtjfz.jpg

5. wildshroomer

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg274/rustycharlie2004/2014/Mushrooms/2014-04-24_08-24-34_856_zpsp1egia6q.jpg

6. swpa

swpa Morel Connoisseur

trahn, good for you for leaving them. i left a two that size last week, went back a couple days later and there were for more but all six were the same tiny size. next trip back over the weekend, they were all gone--suspect deer but who knows. size does matter i suppose.

7. trahn008

[​IMG]

Finding alot of small black's looking to be a banner season. Happy Hunting!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  8. dleroym30

dleroym30 Morel Enthusiast

@trahn008...found 1 small black wednesday. Hoping this rain makes the spots fire up. Checked my yellow spot today and nothing starting there yet. I hunt 3 counties. Usually when blacks up in one the yellows starting in the other. Good Luck

9. yergaderga

yergaderga Morel Enthusiast

I can't wait to find some morels!! I WANT!

10. woods witch

woods witch Young Morel

Found a total of 22 decent sized blacks today!!!! YAY!!! Hunted Central part of the state...every one was in leaf litter near gravel and rocks. Ground was plenty moist under those leaves. The Mayapples were about 3-4 inches tall with a lot more just popping up. Good Luck everyone! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  11. woods witch

woods witch Young Morel

Well...I thought I figured out how to get a picture to appear but instead it's a link to my whole woodcarving album! Sorry!

12. b-rock

b-rock Morel Enthusiast

So... Have a few questions regarding false morels. I have found more false morels this year than any other year combined. These have been in some of my honey holes from previous years. I have even found flushes of them. So, is this a good or bad sign? Since i dont have a lot of experience finding them in the last 5 years or so, do they come up before true morels? Or does this show that my area's will not produce anymore? Why this year and not in years prior? Thanks for any info or advise!

13. b-rock

b-rock Morel Enthusiast

Oh, and I also found my first two true morels of the year today. One was about 1.5", and the other was about the size of my pinky nail. Should get good in about a week or so in northern Berks County.

14. moreldon

moreldon Morel Enthusiast

Well 2014 has begun....in a small way. Found 8 small grays on Saturday in a micro-warm climate, and 3 tiny grays at one of my historical early spots - Central PA.

As small as they were - I'm going to wait a week before looking again.

15. trahn008

B-Rock many early false morels=BANNER MOREL SEASON (STAY TUNED).

16. athomas

athomas Morel Enthusiast

Can anyone tell me when the Tulip Poplars flowers bloom.. I know they have a yellow flower . but not sure if they bloom during the morel season or not..

17. wildshroomer

Its usually after in my area....was out yesterday and got my first flush from 1 spot...left about another dozen

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg274/rustycharlie2004/2014/Mushrooms/2014-04-28_20-27-02_41_zpsvnfygzt4.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg274/rustycharlie2004/2014/Mushrooms/2014-04-28_19-16-25_260_zpsm9x5dynl.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg274/rustycharlie2004/2014/Mushrooms/2014-04-28_19-02-41_273_zps89bpsq6q.jpg

18. rabbit59

rabbit59 Young Morel

Garden girl.....I live east of erie pa also. I have found them on the ridges mostly with large tulip poplars and large ash trees. And also places where gingseng grows is good. Hope that helps

19. outdrsinpa

outdrsinpa Young Morel

AThomas, you don't need anyone to "show you the ropes". You need to pick up a good field guide or two for wild mushrooms and research the habitat they like( there are lots of good websites also). Then you should be able to start finding morels. It usuall takes a lot of footwork to find that first one, then you can get a feel for where to look in your area. I have started finding them in Cambria County this week, still very small, but you should be on top of big flushes of morels after the recent rain. Your weather is much warmer in the East than ours here in Central PA so I am guessing the shrooms there should be larger and easier to find. I wish I lived closer to Easton I would take you on a walkabout. I have really put some miles on already this spring in the woods and I am just starting to find them. Look for elm, ash, apple, and crab apple trees for a good starting point. Good luck.

20. yergaderga

yergaderga Morel Enthusiast

How do I go about finding elm trees in my area? Is there a place I can go online to find where they are most concentrated around here?