Morels 2015

Discussion in 'New York' started by geogymn, May 8, 2015.

1. geogymn

geogymn Morel Connoisseur

Utica area. Southern facing slope. Under Poplar trees. It was a late cold spring which turned into a hot dry summer. Too dry out there!! And way too hot!
    Checked out an easy early spot and found this lone soldier. Will do a walk about tomorrow but don't expect too much until the rains. Good luck and enjoy the hunt!
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. geogymn

Tenonanatche- Valley of the Mohawk. Tough hunt today! Was out for 4 hours. The only ones I found were on PG (proven ground). If I wasn't confident of some of my old faithful trees I don't believe I would of scored. The morels are small and dry and the leaves on the forest floor are fluffy. Found one under a dead Elm, half under Ash/Apple combination and the other half under other Apple. Found some nice ones just the same. 46 in all but only weighed 14 oz. Ifin it rains like they predict then next weekend will be just fine methinks. Pic attached.

[​IMG]

3. geogymn

Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

4. lynkage

lynkage Morel Connoisseur

Nice GEO! Glad to see finds.Got another handful yesterday but didn't look even close to that nice.Need rain badly! Happy Hunting!!

5. fogwhisper

fogwhisper Morel Connoisseur

Went for a quick check of a known spot ,it's so dry out there uncovered the smallest one I've ever seen 1/8 " tall and pure white. I watered the spot just to see what happens.I hope it rains a lot this afternoon....side note I did get two ticks on me. I was only in the woods for two minutes eeeeeuuuuiiicckkkkyy I hate them darn things

6. geogymn

Hunted another PG this morning. Ran into ten small shy ones! Methinks if it rains the season might be saved!

7. audiophoenix

audiophoenix Morel Connoisseur

Ticks are really bad this year in my woods. I find them crawling all over and have to constantly check myself.

8. lynkage

I'm a tick magnet myself and hasn't been bad so far.Very dry weather may be a factor.We'll see what this rain brings.Ticks,shrooms,ticks and shrooms?If shrooms are involved,the ticks would be wise to stay out of my way! :twisted:

9. geogymn

Went for a short hunt after work yesterday and got skunked. But I did have no less than a dozen of ticks crawling up my jeans. I believe you are correct about the dry weather keeping them at bay but they are out with a vengeance now. Bummer! I usually don ankle gaiters on my hunts but was ill prepared yesterday. Good luck this weekend, it should be a productive one and don't forget to stop, look where you are, and enjoy the hunt.

10. lynkage

Geo,it may sound odd but I've taken alternate routes to my familiar spots because the ticks seem to prefer certain areas.This seems to work fairly well for me.There is a particular group of pines I bypass because within ten yards my legs are covered.Heading out after work hoping the early week's rain was enough.Happy Hunting!

11. fogwhisper

Well that sounds like what happened to me, only one where there should have been many. let's all hope for a second flush now that we finally got some rain.I have to get out today poo on the thunder storms.

12. geogymn

Otsego County. Walked and searched for 2.5 hours without finding nary a one. Changed locations to another PG and bumped into the proverbial mother lode. Real nice specimens! Found nearly all in the same area. 108 total, nearly 3lbs. Mostly under AAC. Pics attached, this is what we all hope to run into. Hang in there your mother lode is right around the next tree!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. lynkage

Geo,fantastic!Pics are awesome.Not just the shrooms,nice piece of land from what I see in the background.I'm still counting morels in the first pic and developed eye- strain headache!Grill's goin',refreshments within reach...........perfect!! I have to try that Utica Club after the last few years of pics!One question,AAC? Congrats,my friend! You always produce nicely every year.I'd like to extend a handshake and a brotherly pat on the back.Enjoy!!

14. fogwhisper

Nice find geo, congrats on hitting the mother load. we all live for that.

15. geogymn

Thanks! It was a fun find. I would like to show the newbies that they are really out there. This is intended to be an encouragement maybe with a small slice of ego attached.
    Lynk, When I first laid eyes on this troop of morels my first thought was I wish the people from this web site could witness this sight and feeling. Then I looked around to make sure no one else was around.
    Had a nice thick Porterhouse smothered in morels for sup.
    AAC = Apple/Ash Combination. Seems to be a great partnership with morels. I also took notice that the Apple tree has both live and dead sections. To be further studied upon
    The first area that I hunted for a long time yesterday for naught is PG and I know that they are there but it must be too early for that microclimate. My point is that one may want to recheck all your areas periodically. Next week I am going back to that spot and it is going to produce.
    Today I am going to re-search an area that skunked me last week.
    I sincerely hope that all this blabbing is of some help. Good luck and enjoy the hunt. Geo

16. lynkage

Geo,if taking pride in hard work paying off can be considered ego,then take a BIG slice.You deserve it!!

17. fingerlks13

fingerlks13 Morel Enthusiast

I just found two more in my yard, I think they fell victim to the lawn mower yesterday. :( Found them under a pine tree, about 10 feet from the trunk.

18. fingerlks13

fingerlks13 Morel Enthusiast

I haven't read anything about walnut trees and mushrooms, but the ones I've found in my yard seem to steer clear of the walnut trees.

19. geogymn

Finger, Black walnut roots, which may extend 50 feet or more from the trunk, exude a natural herbicide known as juglone that prevents many plants from growing within their reach. Tomatoes, potatoes, apples, pears, berries, and some landscape plants such as rhododendrons, azaleas, and lilacs may be killed or stunted if grown in close proximity to black walnut roots.

20. geogymn

Oneida County. Went to a spot that skunked me last week and found 22 big specimens that looked a tad old. Went to another spot and found some tall good looking yellows. 57 in all. A lot of lone soldiers today . Found them under Ash, Apple, Elm and AAC. I'm done til next week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]