1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Morels 2017

Discussion in 'Texas' started by seagle63, Jan 16, 2017.

1. seagle63

seagle63 Morel Enthusiast

New hunter in north DFW. Anyone want to plan hunting trips?

Steve

2. benthegrate

benthegrate Morel Enthusiast

With 80s in January and February, I'm afraid we're not in for much of a season this year in north Texas, just like last year. I hope I'm wrong. Already planning to head way north to hunt this year. But even Michigan had a horrible season last year. I'm knocking on all the wood I can find.

3. seagle63

I'm going to venture into NW Arkansas. Will let you know if I have luck.

Steve

4. huntergatherer

huntergatherer Morel Enthusiast

I did NW Ark last year, very dry and way to hot, hope this year is better, good luck all

5. seagle63

Huntergatherer,
    This will be my first time to hunt. Care to go with a newbie?

Steve

6. arkanshrooms

arkanshrooms Morel Connoisseur

I live in NW Arkansas. Last season was way early and morels were few. There were huge areas of normal morel woods that didn't produce any. I think we got 1/3 of normal harvests. I pick from Arkansas up into Minnesota every year. Looks early this year too.

7. thebeekeeper

thebeekeeper Young Morel

Just checked my usual spots in Austin 2/25/17 and found nothing. Warm weather means they should be early, and the wet weather means this should be an average to good year.

JaneAustin likes this.
  8. thebeekeeper

thebeekeeper Young Morel

Typical show time in austin is March 10-15. FYI.

9. morelorel

morelorel Morel Enthusiast

Went to the hill county to some early spots and nothing yet. We are close though. The hill country should be up within a week and some change.

10. arkanshrooms

You guys seem right aligned with my thinking. Last year in NW Arkansas we found our first March 17th. Seems like similar conditions.

11. tonsoffungus

tonsoffungus Morel Enthusiast

I'll check a few hill country spots tomorrow. Accumulated degree days point to an early season, but these recent cold nights could slow things down a bit. Not bone dry thanks to rains a few weeks back, but some long dry spells this winter. Really not sure what I expect but getting too excited to stay indoors.

12. arkanshrooms

Several small, immature morels were found yesterday in Baxter county, Northern Arkansas. I believe these were the earliest ever found in the state. Crazy. Nothing yet in NW Arkansas. No reports so far out of Oklahoma either, but at least three reports of morels in Missouri already.

13. pacertom

pacertom Morel Enthusiast

Last year, my first was on March 4th and March 5th the year before that. I went yesterday to my early spot and still nothing. Redbuds are blooming and I expect to find some next weekend.

14. morelorel

Someone found 35 on wednesday in Irving. I found hog shit in the Hill Country Friday. Might go hunt state line today and Oklahoma tomorrow. Hope to see some success my fellow Texans best of luck out there. :)

15. seagle63

MorelOrel, I'll be around the state line tomorrow, around I35. Should I look for you?

Steve

16. morelorel

State line is dry at my spot. I have a sneaking suspicion pacertom and I hunt the same locale and he beat me to it wednesday. Im going to south central Oklahoma tomorrow for better luck.

17. seagle63

Anyone want to go hunting tomorrow? I'm heading north to Red Rive up to Dulpher.

Steve

18. tonsoffungus

tonsoffungus Morel Enthusiast

How'd you do, Steve? I'm probably headed to north end of the hill country this weekend.

19. seagle63

I found nothing, except a wild bee hive. I'm going up to Arbuckles/Sulpher, the east towards Ada.

20. seagle63

I'll post again tonight. We can compare notes!