MORELS 2018

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Feb 12, 2018.

1. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

About the time I start thinking about morels. Been looking over maps and thinking spring! It's kind of interesting when you have Delorme maps of many states with hot spots marked, you kind of relive those hunts again. Missing PICKENS!!! Happy Hunting!!!

2. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

Ahhh can't wait either only 2 more months!!
    I really get excited when the board really gets me excited

3. Beatnik88

Beatnik88 Morel Connoisseur

I was starting to get excited until this warm and wet span started. It seems eerily similar to last season when I had almost no finds at any of my spots.

4. tommyjosh

It’s crazy that on feb 25 last year they were already popping in Missouri and Arkansas

5. RAU

RAU Young Morel

Hi all, I'm new here. I've never found a morel in my life but I'm determined to this spring. I've gotten pretty good at fall mushrooms. Hens or sheep heads as we all call them here and chickenmushroom And even some some chanterelles and shaggy manes too. I'm in luzerne county but spend a lot of time in Wyoming and Susquehanna counties too. Anyone have any tips specific to my area that aren't mainstream info they'd want to share?

6. tommyjosh

I'd look up a ground temp map and see when it's ready

7. trahn008

RAU..... The tip is hunt tree's first... If your looking for black's find Tulip Poplars once the blacks are done you could find the smaller yellows (poplar) morels. Looking for true yellows look for elm, ash and apple. Hunt the tree's find the morels!!

8. tommyjosh

Oh yes look for the trees I spend more time looking up than down

9. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

Wow guys. Daffodils were pokin' thru the ground the size of my finger nail and a tree down the road was with fuzzy buds on Jan 28th. Daffodils a few inches high on Feb 18th now have buds with their yellow visible from a distance and that same tree has leaves sprouting. :eek: Crazy I tell ya!! Also, as of the last couple days, MANY trees are budding. We were all the way up to 81 a few days ago and in the early 70s the last two. We are having a ton of rain and flood warnings are posted 'til late Sun night. Crazy weather; the 10-day forecast is showing more seasonable temps . . . I'll take 'em. Saw the 1st find posted in Georgia . . . it's almost time here. ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. Rippers2

Rippers2 Young Morel

Happy 2018, Trahn

I too miss the many back and fourths with Pickens, I only met him once but am happy that I had that chance.

Not sure whats happening on your side of the state but here in Pgh, we are experiencing massive amounts of soil erosion and landslides... Im thinking 2019 should be an amazing year if the weather conditions are decent. I say 2019 as I imagine this wont affect this season in time.

1 person likes this.
  11. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Enthusiast

I am new to most mushrooms but have been hunting morels for 50 years. I enjoy reading your blogs. I have a question on a lions mane mushroom I found one last week on a standing beech tree. Its in bad shape, should I remove it or let it alone. Will it come back this year. The tree is still alive but very diseased.

12. beagleboy

I am from central Pa and saw some buzzards yesterday does that mean everything is going to be earlier this spring. Last year we didn't see any till the middle of march. I found my first morel on april 21 last year.

13. jean marie

jean marie Morel Connoisseur

You can pick it or leave it, it WILL produce perhaps several more times this year & years to come. As far as buzzards go... I see them year round here in Northern Arkansas, so I am of no help on that question...

beagleboy likes this.
  14. beagleboy

thank you for the information I really appreciate it

1 person likes this.
  15. trahn008

I would knock it off... Might get mold growing on it and get in the way of the next fruiting... Keep an eye on the beech you could get a spring fruiting, but for sure in the fall. The buzzards, not sure, it's all about the soil temp and RH... Happy Hunting!!

beagleboy likes this.
  16. trahn008

@RIPPER2 what happened to RIPPER1...LOL... Good to hear from you.. HAPPY 2018!!!

17. beagleboy

thanks I will take it off. when do they usually fruit again.

18. trahn008

Picked some last year in Lycoming Co. September 23. Didn't pick any in the spring really wasn't targeting them but the opposite climate to Sept. would be April-Mayish, like when where hunting morels. Happy Hunting!!

beagleboy likes this.
  19. trahn008

Love those Mane!!!
    DSC03850.JPG DSC03868.JPG

20. trahn008

Did grow morels years ago. But only got one!!LOL DSC05113.JPG