MORELS 2019 CHIT CHAT

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Jan 11, 2019.

1. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

For those thinking morels already. A thread to talk about the up and coming season. Happy Scouting!!

2. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

I was out checking a spot that I received permission to look for mushrooms yesterday. It looks like it might be more on the chanterelle, black trumpet, or hen of the woods type of area. Lots of oak with just a few tulip poplar mixed in. IMG_3798.JPG IMG_3797.JPG

2 people like this.

3. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

That is good to get out & scout now. Find new spots & tree’s really helps when it starts popping.

4. Zabz

Zabz Morel Enthusiast

The winter is a good time to spot tree types. Way easier to spot the ash, beech and sycamore from a distance. Any tips for spotting elms?

Walkabout and (deleted member) like this.
  5. beagleboy

Most elms fork pretty quick and also if you look for bark falling off a tree it is worth checking out, it is probably elm or ash. Here is a picture of an area I was in today that had many elms. IMG_3800.JPG

6. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Howdy Yall.. Wade & Robin here ..
    from over in Monroe county Indiana..
    We drive out to Lancaster about 25 time a year..its so Beautiful in those Mountains..
    We Morel Hunt on some State Game Lands..and find a few..but haven't got into any Honey holes yet.
    We will Keep trying ..
    We Love Walking in Yalls Woods ..
    Very Similar to Our Hoosier National Forest here at Home..
    but Man..Yalls Hills are Big Mountains.
    Screenshot_20190119-132955_Gallery.jpg

2 people like this.
  7. beagleboy

If you want to climb hills you should visit northern Centre co, Elk co or Cameron co. Its all just about straight up and down. In fact there is a sign just west of Clearfield on rt 80 that says that it is the highest point on 80 west of the Mississippi.

8. wade

Wow that's Cool...and i seriously haven't learned yet.. but are Morels just as likely bout anywhere top to bottom of those Mountains .. or are there places that I would more likely never find um...

1 person likes this.
  9. beagleboy

I took the beagle out for a walk before the snow started and scouted a new area today. This area really looks promising, lots of just dead elms and dead ash and a few poplars on a south facing slope. IMG_3806.JPG IMG_3805.JPG IMG_3801.JPG

10. beagleboy

Its just like any other place in Pa, right trees, right type of soil, right time of year. There is so much public land up there without trails that they even require the elk hunters to hire a guide.

1 person likes this.
  11. wade

I lived in Allentown in 1976, I was 13 years old... I didn't go in the wood to Hunt then.
    Just Playing..I only lived there about 45 days.. Man they piled the snow High.
    and that Birch Beer and Cheese Steak Sub style Sandwiches... and them Girls!
    it was Golden Good times....
    and the Bulldog Swimming pool at the Mack Truck Factory.. and The Delaware river & Canal......We moved back to Indiana just a day before that Big Blizzard hit...

12. beagleboy

I had friends in St Marys back in the early 80's and went up trout fishing and hunting morels with them. The trout fishing was great but we didn't do real good on the morels. I have learned a lot about morel hunting since then. One thing we did find was plenty of ramps around the Bendigo state park area.

13. beagleboy

Someone once said there are no stupid questions, so I am going to ask this (maybe the first one) does the mycelium of morels grow all winter or become dormant or just die and depend on spores to restart the cycle again. The reason I ask is my cousin has an apple tree that over the past 15 years he has poured his rinse water from his morels around it and it fruits morels on the year after, but he has skipped a few years and the years he missed the following year there were none.This has happened more than once.

4 people like this.
  14. beagleboy

Follow up question, could the spores from the rinse water compete with an already established mycelium and one of them has to fruit and move on. Weird things you think about when you get cabin fever. lol

15. tommyjosh

tommyjosh Morel Connoisseur

We have also been doing this to our apple tree every single year for the last 10 years. Never had any pop up. How many morels did he find around the tree some years?

16. stasiakj

stasiakj Morel Enthusiast

Question. Plan on hitting my GA spots this year and may be picking one day, traveling (only 3 hours) back home the next. What is the best way to keep and transport back home?

1 person likes this.
  17. tommyjosh

We have a cooler with some ice on the bottom, not much then a layer of paper towels then we put a small plastic box, small enough to fit in the cooler and put the morels in and then another layer of damp paper towels over the morels.

beagleboy likes this.
  18. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

Seem like good questions to me. I was thinking about a spot I’ve hunted for years a nice little slow slopping valley about 95% poplar that did produce well. Nothing the last two years. I’m thinking I’ll try one more year if nothing I’ll move on. It’s always a mystery.....

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  19. beagleboy

I think he told me the most was 10 the first time he did it.

1 person likes this.
  20. tommyjosh

Yea wouldn’t expect much, hope I can get something in the next few years.

1 person likes this.