Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
221 - 240 of 351 Posts
Beagleboy, I'd be surprised if your ramps are not up. They will be perfect this weekend here. The older they get , the stronger they are.
I like for them to be a little old. I only have one spot I can pick them and it is picked by other people, so I only take some of the leaves. I don't want to over harvest it. This year if I hit it right I am going to try to get some of the seeds and see if they will grow on my property. I have about 5 wooded acres along a stream.

Hey Guys, I just got sent a photo from a buddy who wanted to know if these are Morels or false Morels. It's the only photo he sent, but I asked for a couple more. It's kinda a weird angle but I was wondering what y'alls opinion was. Thanks!
Grass Grass family Plant Soil Fungus

hey beagleboy. Just pick some young ramps and transplant them in about 2-3" of soil. I transplanted 4 ramps about 6 years ago and there had to be more than 20 plants growing there last season. If the conditions are right, they will grow. No sign of them yet. Mercer County.
Good tip. I've tried saving my root clippings and seed pods with no luck yet. I'll have to try what you are doing. Hopefully it will have more success.

hey beagleboy. Just pick some young ramps and transplant them in about 2-3" of soil. I transplanted 4 ramps about 6 years ago and there had to be more than 20 plants growing there last season. If the conditions are right, they will grow. No sign of them yet. Mercer County.
Thanks bkos, I had read on one of the other posts that if you transplanted them they wouldn't spread but it sounds like it worked for you, so I think I will try it.

Wanted to let you guys know that before my friend got my email, he got 2 five gallon buckets full of morels under one black walnut tree outside his house! Not bad for a newbie huh? Thanks again for the input! I think another person just got bit by the "Morel Bug" out here in CA.!

I took a quick look yesterday in an early spot. Was a little disappointed, not because I didn't find any, but because I thought the woods would be greener. The mayapples were just a little white point sticking out of the ground and the multi flora didn't even have any green showing. We have had afternoon soil temp readings in the low 50's all week in my yard and this spot gets more sun. Thanks guys for the information on the ramps.

221 - 240 of 351 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.