Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
241 - 260 of 351 Posts
Never heard black walnut trees associated with morels. Is this common?
Monkeyman, I don't know if its common, I have saw where people in some areas have found under them. On an earlier post on this thread redfred, said that he has found them under black walnut. Last year I found under a black cherry tree for the first time and I have heard of people who have found under white pine, but they still wouldn't be a target tree for me. A lot of people target tulip poplar and I look under them but I have never found any morels under them, maybe this year is the year. My target trees are old apple and dead elm.

Monkeyman, I don't know if its common, I have saw where people in some areas have found under them. On an earlier post on this thread redfred, said that he has found them under black walnut. Last year I found under a black cherry tree for the first time and I have heard of people who have found under white pine, but they still wouldn't be a target tree for me. A lot of people target tulip poplar and I look under them but I have never found any morels under them, maybe this year is the year. My target trees are old apple and dead elm.
Gotta agree W/you, beagle. It’s a percentage game & the vast majority of my finds are keyed to those two types of tree. Not saying other tree don’t occasionally produce, just saying I ain’t got time to check em!

A few times I have found under the popular trees that they are the small ones and grow bent a lot of times. Usually I might see a part of something under a leaf, then when I move the leaves....whamo many. My buddy found maybe 50-60 between a group of 5 trees in under the leaves. All 2- 2.5 inches. He is old and probably gave up after 15-20 minutes, I bet there were a ton more.

I was looking on another page, Indiana I think, and there was a pic of some nice blacks. Also in the pic were black walnut shells. Elm and apple were my main go to trees as well, but the elm/morel connection seems to have run out of steam here. Elms are too long dead and don't produce anymore.

So, I continue to hunt the apple trees. We have tons scattered around on my fish & game club (2,200 acres), so plenty of places to look. Last year I found a couple of nice flushes around sycamores! There were apple trees in the vicinity, but the flushes were definitely clustered around the sycamores. I've also found them around eastern cottonwood. And I've found them growing out in grassy areas, seemingly not associated with any tree!

Don't mean to complicate things. Like someone else posted, it's playing the odds. But, I've been surprised by pushing into new areas that didn't seem all that promising looking at them from the outside. Maybe other hunters have thought the same and didn't go in there!

I can't say I target black walnuts but I don't discount them. I recall we were talking about juglone ( a toxic chemical produced by black walnuts trees) and it's affects on morels. I can say that juglone does not hurt morels. Many times I have found morels within 2-3 feet of the base of walnuts. Where I live you could walk for miles and never see a elm they are rare. If you head west or north of me you may find more. The ash tree for me is similar I find a few of them but the Emerald Ash Bore is changing that quickly. I target poplar 1 because I can find them and 2 because they do produce. Sycamore trees are next on the list but usually a little latter. If I'm in poplars and I come across walnut,cherry,maple, or white pine mixed in I keep searching but any oak seems to stop them cold. I still target old apple and elm it's just a target I seldom get a shot at.. Now a white pine story
My neighbor behind me had a row of white pine about 80 yards long planted along the property line . To me they were a pain every wind ,ice or snow storm some thing was breaking out of them. I guess he must have felt the same because in the fall of 2010 he had them cut down and put up a split rail fence. I never been a fan of white pine so I can't say I was sorry to see them go but his house did seem a little closer. Now in the spring of 2011 as I'm cutting grass about 30 yards from the base of where the pines had been in a spot about 10 feet by 10 feet in the middle of my lawn up pops 2 dozen big fat morels. I looked all along the fence his side my side but no more... So I guess this spring will be 8 years, have I ever seen another one there NOPE. Did i really think that they would come back NOPE. Will I slow the mower staring at the ground as I get near or around this spot as I have for the past 7 years ABSOLUTELY

Redfred,

2011 must have had something to it. My brother’s yard has a giant white pine in it. I live near my brother and have been searching our neighborhood for morels for 15 years. I’ve never found any morels anywhere even close to our neighborhood... except for 2011. His entire yard was littered with morels surrounding that pine.

Lots we just don’t know about this fungus!

Howdy Yall..... Wade here ...
Robin and Me got so very busy Working so i haven't been Over here to see Yall for a few pages..
We are beginning to Have Reporting of pretty good finds from southern Indiana all week..and Now up to Monroe County that's My home area..and it is so similar to Lancaster Pennsylvania So if Yall aren't already finding in Lancaster it should begin Right Now..i wish i could be out There to see Kris Kristofferson Today
Today is my Birthday it would've been cool if I'd been there. its One of My Dreams to See Him Some Day.. My Mom Use to tuck me into bed and play his Albums for me to sleep to, Can you imagine a little 3rd grader listening to sugerman as bedtime music..it was so real ..
Robin and Me are Headed out Early in the Morning driving 30 miles to My Boyhood Morel Hunting spots..Much May be Gone Soon ..they are building Houses Everywhere.. i wish i could stop them

Yeah, that's the thing about them... just when you think you have them figured out, something completely unexpected happens. I've found near just about every tree mentioned here at some time or other. (However, I've never hunted cottonwoods out west, burn sites, etc.) Anyway, IMO it seems like we're pretty much right on schedule. Yesterday I picked the first 4 shiitake out back in my "shiitake forest." My forest consists of several hundred logs from which I typically pick 50-100 gallons per year. Anyway, I guess my main point was that I usually start picking those right around the time the morels get going, and so I thought I'd let everyone know that we're getting close now. Happy hunting!

Robin and Me got so very busy Working so i haven't been Over here to see Yall for a few pages..
We are beginning to Have Reporting of pretty good finds from southern Indiana all week..and Now up to Monroe County that's My home area..and it is so similar to Lancaster Pennsylvania So if Yall aren't already finding in Lancaster it should begin Right Now..i wish i could be out There to see Kris Kristofferson Today
Today is my Birthday it would've been cool if I'd been there. its One of My Dreams to See Him Some Day.. My Mom Use to tuck me into bed and play his Albums for me to sleep to, Can you imagine a little 3rd grader listening to sugerman as bedtime music..it was so real ..
Robin and Me are Headed out Early in the Morning driving 30 miles to My Boyhood Morel Hunting spots..Much May be Gone Soon ..they are building Houses Everywhere.. i wish i could stop them
Happy Birthday. Wishing you many more trips around the Sun. May the morels shine upon you!

It is impossible to predict the next morel flush. Mycology is a science that is sooo early stage -- there will be many research breakthroughs when the discipline gets the focus it deserves.
This weather will bring out the first real flushes this week. Have fun and be prepared for the ticks.
Yes and Still the Mystery part of Our Hunt Will always be.

Happy Birthday Wade! That wouldve been something! I missed him last year when he came to town too. You & Robin enjoy your boyhood StompinGrounds tomorrow, trippn down memory lane!:cool:

Found a massive abandoned apple orchard on one of my scouting hikes. Still feels too cold and not enough green to have had anything come up yet. Anyone think it’s past it’s prime to produce? Not sure what I’m looking for other than apple orchard...

Attachments

241 - 260 of 351 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.