MORELS 2019 CHIT CHAT

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Jan 11, 2019.

1. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Kurt it looks a little to open to me. Most of the really good orchards i’ve Picked you had to crawl through. They had moss all around from the years of shade. But I sure would hit that orchard fast and give it a look over at the right time. Happy Hunting!

2. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

Kurt, are all those trees completely dead? Most of the apple trees I find morels under are old but not completely dead some just have a few limbs that get leaves or blossoms on them but all have a little life in them. That's just the experience that I have with apple trees, maybe its just in my area.

Kurt Wewer and (deleted member) like this.

3. beagleboy

I went out to check a spot with the beagle this afternoon. We didn't find any morels, but my beagle found some squirrel scent and trailed one right up this small dead tree till she was about 8ft off the ground. When she realized where she was she turned around on that little tree and started back down and I took her picture with my cell phone, sorry about the quality, IMG_3873_A.jpg its just a cheap cell phone.

4. rippers

rippers Morel Enthusiast

Haha... good memory... new Chevy truck... had the last one 17 years then gave it to my dad.

1 person likes this.
  5. Kurt Wewer

Kurt Wewer Morel Enthusiast

Thanks! There were some areas that the trees were completely covered in vines and I had to crawl through. I’ll definitely be going back just in case.

Beagle - that’s good to know! There are some trees that are still producing some leaves and have bark on the trees still!

Thanks all!! Good luck to you!

6. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

I pulled into a court today that had a center island with curb all around ... It had 4 trees planted in the center of it. I look at the curb and was thinking barrier .. I hear about apple trees what about crab apples? Any thoughts one way or the other .....

Gibz likes this.
  7. rippers

rippers Morel Enthusiast

I find plenty of morels at crab apples.

2 people like this.
  8. dustmight

dustmight Morel Enthusiast

1 person likes this.
  9. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

Kurt - one thing on apple orchards like that is that growers I've found LOVED to spray chemicals to keep their apples perfect, and those chemicals stay in the soil a long time, accumulating in morels that grow there. Not trying to put you off; just letting you know. I've been in old orchards before, with one never showing me anything and the other doing okay for a couple of years before a wet snowfall felled many of the trees.

Kurt Wewer likes this.
  10. trahn008

I do also! Happy Hunting!

Gibz and (deleted member) like this.
  11. trahn008

Beagleboy, you have to train that dog to hunt mushrooms. Beagles are great dogs! Happy Training!

Gibz and (deleted member) like this.
  12. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

MonkeyMan....I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but when the leaves fall they kinda mulch them into the soil all around the tree rather than rake them and remove them. I don't remember hearing about Morels associated with black walnuts either but 'the proof is in the pudding'. I know I'll start giving them more of a look now just to make sure!

1 person likes this.
  13. Gibz

Gibz Morel Enthusiast

Nothing yesterday in Somerset county. Woods still pretty bleak. Dropped off the mountain to Fayetteville. Several miles of tulip poplar and sycamore. May apples. Fiddlehead terillium all looked right. But no mushrooms

1 person likes this.
  14. ugur

ugur Young Morel

Attached Files:

15. beagleboy

trahn, the problem with that is I would have to find a spot without squirrels or rabbits, those are her priorities.lol

Inthewild and (deleted member) like this.
  16. wildshroomer

wildshroomer Morel Connoisseur

Beagle.....you need to strap a stick on her back and dangle a morel from it right in front of her nose while walking her....she'll catch on 1_MQT4t5UxmrAiTYxQLCiytQ.png

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  17. swpa

swpa Morel Connoisseur

Found one really nice black this eve in a very short drive by hunt. This weather looks good for this weekend. Saturday might be crazy and it might be a shorty season, so Carpe diem.

1 person likes this.
  18. Charman03

Charman03 Morel Enthusiast

9933F150-52E5-44EA-9011-E959BC256FF1.jpeg What kind of bark am I looking at on this dying tree?

19. StoobyTurlock

StoobyTurlock Morel Enthusiast

Why short season?

20. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

If that tree was in Calif. I'd say a Doug Fir tree. Looks just like that; was there any dry needles on the ground under it? That would help.....