Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
281 - 300 of 351 Posts
Beagle.....you need to strap a stick on her back and dangle a morel from it right in front of her nose while walking her....she'll catch on View attachment 15146
wildshroomer, that's a good idea. I am a little short on morels to try it, could you send me a couple of pounds. Better yet we could just go to one of your spots and I could pick them. Just kidding (sort of).

Conch Organ Flesh Squid
Red Material property
I decided to drop off the other side of the mountain to Westmoreland county. Nice patch of ramps. Mostly too small to pick. Also found these scarlet cups. References are not clear on edibility. Texture seemed tough but they were fresh. Anybody try them?

I went out to check a spot with the beagle this afternoon. We didn't find any morels, but my beagle found some squirrel scent and trailed one right up this small dead tree till she was about 8ft off the ground. When she realized where she was she turned around on that little tree and started back down and I took her picture with my cell phone, sorry about the quality, View attachment 14998 its just a cheap cell phone.
Beagle

I really like your posts. It was just about a year ago I lost my beagle buddy of 13.5 years. Seeing your posts brings back good memories

Gibz,
I have tried them although many sources discourage it. If you overcook them, they have no flavor. Sauteed medium they are okay, not great, and do have a rubbery or slightly tough texture. I sure wouldn't eat a lot. Supposedly and anecdotally, native Americans used them medicinally. I always see them in good morel woods, along with devils urn, a little before morels start and through the season. They could be in all woods, but they are obviously noticable when you have eyes on the ground.

Gibz,
I have tried them although many sources discourage it. If you overcook them, they have no flavor. Sauteed medium they are okay, not great, and do have a rubbery or slightly tough texture. I sure wouldn't eat a lot. Supposedly and anecdotally, native Americans used them medicinally. I always see them in good morel woods, along with devils urn, a little before morels start and through the season. They could be in all woods, but they are obviously noticable when you have eyes on the ground.
SWPA

Thanks. I believe I will wait for something better

Gibz,
Good call. I found that they tasted w bit like dryad saddle aka turkey tale, which is pretty far down on the list of delectables. ThereTare much tastier ''woodeaters". Best of luck this season.

Gibz,
Good call. I found that they tasted w bit like dryad saddle aka turkey tale, which is pretty far down on the list of delectables. ThereTare much tastier ''woodeaters". Best of luck this season.
SWPA, I think You mistakenly said TurkeyTail, instead of Pheasantback. Cerioporus Squamosus(aka DryadsSaddle, Pheasantback). Trametes Versicolor(aka TurkeyTail)is a different species of polypore.

Hi everybody. My second season on the headwaters of the w. branch Susquehanna river. Ramps, trout lillies, trout, may apples are emerging, I can't take the anticipation. Last year I averaged 1 per hour, and I spent many hours looking. I only knew to check elm, ash, apple. I have been scouting b. cherry and tulip poplar. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Been doing a lot of driving and walking.

swpa you must have me mixed up with someone else. I am from Snyder county and I am no expert, even though I have hunted morels for over 50 years. I am still learning. I have learned more from this site than I thought would be possible. Thank you all!

Hey beagleboy!
This is my second year on this site and about my third year hunting...seems my timing was my biggest problem in the past. I'm in snyder county too, and I was wondering if you'd kindly be able to share with me what kinds of trees you've typically had your best luck with around here. I've had a lot better luck searching in SE pa, but never any luck up here. I'm certainly not asking you to share any of your spots (I'm not that much of a newbie, haha) but I thought about heading out tomorrow and trying my luck again this season. Any insight you'd be willing to share would be SO appreciated!

Oops - just found your post from a bit back with your preferred trees on it. Will go from there!

Hi everybody. My second season on the headwaters of the w. branch Susquehanna river. Ramps, trout lillies, trout, may apples are emerging, I can't take the anticipation. Last year I averaged 1 per hour, and I spent many hours looking. I only knew to check elm, ash, apple. I have been scouting b. cherry and tulip poplar. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Been doing a lot of driving and walking.

281 - 300 of 351 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.