Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
321 - 340 of 351 Posts
The week ahead weather forecast, if correct, should lead to some giant yellows!
Where are you located? I’ve been trying to learn this art for the past few years, watching a lot of videos and researching the tips from all you great folk. I know that morels pop up after a good rain followed by some dry, warm weather, but I haven’t heard what happens if that weather cycle repeats itself quickly with lower temperatures. Does this 54° crappy, rainy weather we're getting for the next week (in the State College area) destroy any morels that may have previously come up?

Where are you located? I’ve been trying to learn this art for the past few years, watching a lot of videos and researching the tips from all you great folk. I know that morels pop up after a good rain followed by some dry, warm weather, but I haven’t heard what happens if that weather cycle repeats itself quickly with lower temperatures. Does this 54° crappy, rainy weather we're getting for the next week (in the State College area) destroy any morels that may have previously come up?
Anne actually I think it should help some, if the temperature should reach 80 degrees or more with this wet weather then they would mold and rot pretty quick. In the 50's might slow them down a little but when we get some sun an a little warmer it should make them grow. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

A few diff. species including a few lbs of gyro's for trahn:) haven't found a thing. My couple spots are yellows, which I think are any day. Wish I could find that spot for blacks. No luck, so far. Gonna revisit scouted spots. Mine aren't exactly a secret! And the ash will be done in a year or two. I've read til cross-eyed, walked til it wasn't feasible. Blah,blah, blah.

Discussion starter · #327 ·
Blue Foot here is my take on the area you live in for morels. I have a cabin up around your area. I have looked and hunted morels up in that area for over 20years, it is not EASY. The way I have managed to find SOME spots in North Central PA. is I walked very little and drove hundreds of miles. Would just drive and look for area's we talked about in this thread, once I found some morels roadside I'd look deeper into the woods, not far. Was always find a spot pick a dozen drive 20 miles pick six kind of hunting style. There is pockets of elm up in those area's and they tend to be around water ways. North of 80 is harder than south of 80 from what I have found. Happy Hunting!

Blue Foot here is my take on the area you live in for morels. I have a cabin up around your area. I have looked and hunted morels up in that area for over 20years, it is not EASY. The way I have managed to find SOME spots in North Central PA. is I walked very little and drove hundreds of miles. Would just drive and look for area's we talked about in this thread, once I found some morels roadside I'd look deeper into the woods, not far. Was always find a spot pick a dozen drive 20 miles pick six kind of hunting style. There is pockets of elm up in those area's and they tend to be around water ways. North of 80 is harder than south of 80 from what I have found. Happy Hunting!
Thanks a ton, Trahn. I am still searching for the elusive elm. Your strategy is pretty much what I've been using, good to know it isn't fruitless:) also, been many places in the state, guess I'll head east. Also good to know that morels are scattered here and it is not all me!

Anne,

There is one set of weather parameters to get the morels to pop and another set of parameters to extend their life once already popped.

I don’t know exactly what gets them popping ( doubt anyone knows for sure) but I do know that temps in 50s and 60s with here and there rain will keep them growing and fresh longer.

Though... too much rain or not enough kills a season quick. Same with high temps.

I don't "soak" my morels at all! Why bother? They're mostly water as it is! Why add more? I give them a quick field cleaning and a rinse once I get them home.

I like to dry my excess morels. I bought a cheap food dehydrator at Aldi's (don't know if you have them in your area), and it works great! I'll fill the trays and let it go overnight. They will be as dry and crispy as brand new potato chips come morning! I can store them in brown paper lunch bags at room temp, and not have to worry about refrigeration.

How long does everybody soak their mushrooms?

Also I found way more than I can eat anytime soon. What’s my best options?
This is more or less from "Joe's Book of Mushroom Cookery". Chop up fine 2T of onion and 2T bell pepper and start sauteing in 3-4 T butter. Add 2c finely chopped morels plus 1/2 t each of salt, sugar, and soy sauce. Saute until almost all the liquid is gone and freeze. Spread on crackers or toast, or add to eggs, or almost any other way you'd like to eat morels.

321 - 340 of 351 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.