Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
341 - 351 of 351 Posts
Definitely an odd season in terms of overall quantities, the when, and the where. Attached is an image demonstrating one of my favorite passtimes other than actually finding new spots and picking them.
True! I live in NE Ohio, very close to the PA border. On our page there are guys way down near the Ohio River saying it's still early, folks in the middle of the state raking them in, and some in the northern parts starting to find good numbers! This is something I've never encountered.

what are all of those little brown shrooms on the ground on the bottom pic? I found a ton of those today.
You said it! Hunters call those LBM's, or, Little Brown Mushrooms! There are literally thousands of species, and it's hard to get a definite ID on any one of them. Best leave them alone. Some are poisonous, some are psychoactive. Serious hunters don't bother with them!

That doesn't mean you shouldn't go back and have another look after a while. I looked under a dead elm and found the ground carpeted with LBM's! 10 days to 2 weeks later, I went back and found that the LBM's had all died back, and there was nice flush of morels there!

True! I live in NE Ohio, very close to the PA border. On our page there are guys way down near the Ohio River saying it's still early, folks in the middle of the state raking them in, and some in the northern parts starting to find good numbers! This is something I've never encountered.

You said it! Hunters call those LBM's, or, Little Brown Mushrooms! There are literally thousands of species, and it's hard to get a definite ID on any one of them. Best leave them alone. Some are poisonous, some are psychoactive. Serious hunters don't bother with them!

That doesn't mean you shouldn't go back and have another look after a while. I looked under a dead elm and found the ground carpeted with LBM's! 10 days to 2 weeks later, I went back and found that the LBM's had all died back, and there was nice flush of morels there!
Sounds good to me. Thanks for the tip!

Hey Wade, any possibility of coming to the Calif. Forum? We could use any help we can get with this deluge of spam.(also any advice). Thanx...Happy Shroomin'
Howdy @jdaniels313 .. Wade here !
i will be very Happy to begin working on that spam for Yall Good Folks outn California ..i have a lot of work today but i will be trying to have your spam all cleaned up by tomorrow morning..
Thank You

Quick Q,

I know that morels and ash trees have a relationship, I have continued to find morels around completely dead ash trees, typically still standing, sometimes where the stump is.
Have the flushes lessened, stayed the same or increased from 10-15 years back? Did morels only show up once the trees started to become compromised by the EAB or had they grown together prior?

Quick Q,

I know that morels and ash trees have a relationship, I have continued to find morels around completely dead ash trees, typically still standing, sometimes where the stump is.
Have the flushes lessened, stayed the same or increased from 10-15 years back? Did morels only show up once the trees started to become compromised by the EAB or had they grown together prior?
I'm from Lawrence county and that's where I do most of my hunting. I know ash produces morels . I'll never past an ash and not look but where I live I don't have much luck with them lately.

341 - 351 of 351 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.