MORELS 2019 CHIT CHAT

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Jan 11, 2019.

1. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

2 people like this.
  2. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

SB, Every year I take the boys to PA parks we have a plan of doing them all in PA then go out of state. I've been to many state parks by myself on the east coast and they are jewels for the explorer. Cooks is a good one!! Happy Hunting!

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.

3. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Thanks. I and the wife loved it at that time of the year. The children were back in school and during the week the park had few people.

Very beautiful, especially the trails through "virgin woods". Oodles of raccoons in the campground. Lots of good mushroom pics.

Another year -- we loved hiking Rickets Glen State Park, PA & all the waterfalls.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    2 people like this.
  4. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

I went looking for sheds yesterday and I think I might have found an area with a micro climate. The buds on these oak trees looked like they were a little green, but a couple of hundred yards away there was 4" of snow on the ground. It could just be morel fever. lol IMG_3837.JPG IMG_3836.JPG

3 people like this.
  5. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Oh say, hello there Beagle.

6. beagleboy

Hi old elm, it's starting to get a little warmer here in Pa. I guess I will have to break out the fishing gear to take my mind off the mushrooms. How are things going in Wisconsin.

1 person likes this.
  7. Old Elm

We’re getting pretty antsy, but know from experience we got awhile to wait yet. Thinkin mid May around here.
    Good luck to you.

1 person likes this.
  8. beagleboy

Took the beagle out to check a new area today and to maybe find some sheds. Looks promising, my beagle thought so too, she was trailing squirrels around but she hasn't figured out that they go up trees. I thought she might help find some sheds but she had other things on her mind. IMG_3838.JPG IMG_3839.JPG

2 people like this.
  9. beagleboy

This poplar tree is under a lot of stress. I don't know if that means anything for poplar, but I am marking it down just the same. It was living last year because it still has flower pods, but I don't know if it still is. IMG_3840.JPG IMG_3841.JPG

1 person likes this.
  10. beagleboy

This looks like it should be a good area. I checked the bottom of the little stream and it has sand in it so the soil in the area should be a little sandy and the bedrock is supposed to be limestone. It has large tulip poplars ,the only thing that would make it better would be dying elms. IMG_3842.JPG

11. beagleboy

Finally most of the snow is leaving, still some in the shady spots and the northern side of the ridges in central Pa. I had 68 degrees yesterday so I looked over a spot I have high hopes for this year. I just hope the season lasts long enough I can check all these spots out. lol IMG_3843.JPG IMG_3845.JPG IMG_3844.JPG

2 people like this.
  12. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

Beagle, you take a good picture, what are you using?......I’ve got a few new spots to check this year and was trying to figure what ones may warm up first. I’m sure you are doing the same. If you think you may run out of time you could give one or two to your brother or brother-in-law..hum.... good luck.

13. beagleboy

r
    Thanks redfred, it's an older camera, a Canon powershot 710AS, it's only 7 megapixels but it is simple to use that's why I use it. My brother and brother in law don't really have much time to explore new spots but I am going to let them know some of the spots that I find at if they want. They both can only hunt on weekends and probably have more than they can handle now. Most of them are on pubic ground but a few I have permission to hunt are on private and those I cannot bring anyone else on.

1 person likes this.
  14. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

I’m using a Olympus sp-320 that is 7.1 megapixels I like that it fits in my pocket. My problem is operator trouble. I vowed this year I would try and learn how to use it and not just leave it on auto....we will see..

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  15. beagleboy

redfred, I use mine on auto most of the time too because as I am getting older I have trouble focusing and holding still especially when I use telephoto.

2 people like this.
  16. swpa

swpa Morel Enthusiast

17. swpa

swpa Morel Enthusiast

Been on this site for a while, but still haven't figured out how to start a thread. It's time. Someone will score an early find before month end.

18. swpa

swpa Morel Enthusiast

Trahn,
    Will you set up a new thread?

1 person likes this.
  19. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

20. Old Elm

Say, What? :confused: