MORELS 2019 CHIT CHAT

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Jan 11, 2019.

1. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Nice pics beagle, I never thought of Penn. as morel terr. until I saw some of your pics of dead elm. Did not know there were any of those left back east. I know they cotton to other trees also, but dang those suckers can get loaded up with morels. I was in NW Mo. today tagging dead elm in the Loess Hills along the Mo. River. It is getting harder here to find good elm, valley's I would walk up 40 years ago that were loaded with elm now may have 2 or 3 left. I recognize the rotting trunks of elm I picked on a decade ago. No tulip poplar here. You guys have any ash? or did the beetles kill them?

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  2. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Coal Cracker for YES... LOL

3. swpa

swpa Morel Connoisseur

Thanks from the tech challenged.

1 person likes this.
  4. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

kb,In central pa there are still pockets of live elm, but the ash has been dead for a while now and I haven't found any morels under the dead ash. There are saplings in some areas so I don't know if they will repopulate or not, it will probably depend if the ash borer is still in the area. I still haven't found under tulip poplar, my target trees are elm and apple but I do have a good spot with black cherry as the host. I am going to check the tulip poplar more this season to see if I can find some black morels.

5. Gibz

Gibz Morel Enthusiast

Beagle Some of our Ash trees are still living, and a lot are in the process of dying. But, I've not found any under the live or dead. I was out yesterday driving and marking spots with Tulip Poplar to concentrate on this year. You indicated that you had not found any under them. Did you look at many? Or just occasionally while concentrating on the Elms and Apples?

6. beagleboy

Gibz, I am planning to try to find some spots for blacks so I scouted some areas with poplars that look good. trahn posted some pictures of what to look for in last years morel thread. I am hoping the blacks are earlier than the yellows this year so I can really concentrate on them before I start picking yellows. To answer your question I have never really concentrated on tulips. I used to find a few blacks when we had live ash in my area but didn't really look under poplar.

2 people like this.
  7. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

A buddy of mine stumbled into a patch of blacks last year right in a prime blonde spot. Odd! :oops:

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  8. beagleboy

Old Elm, thats how I found most of the blacks that I have gotten over the years. Except one fall there was a little ash about 20ft from the corner of my house. It was leaning towards the house so I removed it and 8 black morels came up that spring. I have never found any on my property since.

4 people like this.
  9. Gibz

Gibz Morel Enthusiast

Beagle Thanks I did go back and look at Trahn's postings Definitely a good refresher on trees and barriers

10. Beatnik88

Beatnik88 Morel Connoisseur

I know it's not typical, but all of my best spots have been around sycamores.

11. rippers

rippers Morel Enthusiast

Hi All
    Another season on the way and another round of note taking in hopes to be able to find a pattern that can predict an upcoming season.
    Previous year- record rain
    Winter- average and back and forth late to finish
    Early predictions are for a quick warm up.. we’ll see.

Main point of interest to me is the affect of last years rain on soil... lots of erosion ( more than usual anyway)... If the right amount of rain comes at the right time... and it doesn’t jump to and stay at 80 degrees... could be a great year.

12. beagleboy

This is getting bad. I always had checked out the types of trees when I was traveling through new areas, but this morning while watching fox 43 weather, which they broadcast on location at indian echo caverns today, the first thing I noticed when andrea micheals came out of the caverns was the elm trees in the background. I told my wife look elm trees, you should have saw the look I got. lol

13. Michelle Marlow

Michelle Marlow Young Morel

Thanks for these pictures, very helpful!

beagleboy likes this.
  14. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

4CC6F320-BFF9-44E6-A22E-2B0CF3C9C390.jpeg F28BCEDB-993B-4061-AB5D-05F3F526EA1B.jpeg 5FA3DA3A-A52C-400C-9AA3-187FD9352C8A.jpeg 4CC6F320-BFF9-44E6-A22E-2B0CF3C9C390.jpeg 5FA3DA3A-A52C-400C-9AA3-187FD9352C8A.jpeg F28BCEDB-993B-4061-AB5D-05F3F526EA1B.jpeg

Found a new patch of Old Elm’s today, these should produce in a few weeks.

HawkeyeMerkels and beagleboy like this.
  15. jim33

jim33 Morel Connoisseur

That second one looks exciting!

16. Charman03

Charman03 Morel Enthusiast

Has anyone seen an elm tree in Cumberland or York counties? Still trying to find one. Everything is getting developed

17. Walkabout

Walkabout Morel Enthusiast

Elms look fuzzy and pink at the tops. They are typically vase shaped trees. Thin alternating branches and thin grey bark.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  18. Beatnik88

Beatnik88 Morel Connoisseur

Chairman, I rarely find elms in Cumberland county. I have been sticking to tulip poplars and sycamore trees. What town are you in? I recently moved back but would be happy to share and scout out promising areas together if you're nearby.

beagleboy likes this.
  19. Charman03

Charman03 Morel Enthusiast

Currently in Dillsburg area. I just need to see an elm once to know what I’m looking for. I do better with limestone and apples around here

20. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Dillsburgh, is a good area for black morels! Happy Hunting!

1 person likes this.