Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
D8671ED7-D183-478F-A259-4CEFCC0787ED.jpeg
Took the smoke pole for a walk Saturday saw this tree and stopped to look around and could see a log with old chickens another with Turkey tail and another with some kind of polypore. Lots of tulip poplar. Definitely a place of interest for spring

·
Super Moderator
1,932 Posts
Howdy Everyone... Wade here
i found a couple of Yalls old Threads that trahn008 had started last year.. they where lost in an old pile of spam.
they are back on here for you now

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You da man Wade!! Thanks... That 2019 growing thread was a cool one. going to give it a bump!

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
View attachment 24040 Took the smoke pole for a walk Saturday saw this tree and stopped to look around and could see a log with old chickens another with Turkey tail and another with some kind of polypore. Lots of tulip poplar. Definitely a place of interest for spring
Sounds like an interesting area! Nice muzzleloader too! (I have a .50 Hawken myself) I couldn't tell from the photo whether it's a flintlock or percussion rifle. Good to see others that love black powder too! Happy Shroomin'....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sounds like an interesting area! Nice muzzleloader too! (I have a .50 Hawken myself) I couldn't tell from the photo whether it's a flintlock or percussion rifle. Good to see others that love black powder too! Happy Shroomin'....
JDaniels. Thanks. It’s a flintlock. It was a kit from a Cabellas many years ago to serve as a sanity project to get through January and February

·
Registered
290 Posts
So Phil thinks spring will be early this year... I hope he is right... I also heard on the news that the PETA people think Phil should be replace with a robot.... Now who in there right mind would think that a robot could predict the weather better then a ground hog....come on spring...

·
Registered
549 Posts
So Phil thinks spring will be early this year... I hope he is right... I also heard on the news that the PETA people think Phil should be replace with a robot.... Now who in there right mind would think that a robot could predict the weather better then a ground hog....come on spring...
The PETA people, that's who! Being the gang of idiots they are, it doesn't surprise me!

·
Registered
598 Posts
This weather is really getting me anxious for spring. I remember that it was just about the same temperatures in Feb. of 1993, and the members who were in central pa remember what happened in the middle of march 1993. I don't remember how the morel season went that year.

·
Registered
290 Posts
This weather is really getting me anxious for spring. I remember that it was just about the same temperatures in Feb. of 1993, and the members who were in central pa remember what happened in the middle of march 1993. I don't remember how the morel season went that year.
I could not tell you what the morel season was like in 1993 but I do know that groundhog is never right.. Spring will come when it wants to...

·
Registered
597 Posts
Beagleboy - Looks like PA got caught in the cross hairs in March of '93.

Been'a real bad time to have been in the woods camping for early Morels. Ha!

1993 Storm of the Century
(according to Wikipedia)
Storm_of_the_century_satellite.gif

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yes sb, it started on sat. morning and ended sun afternoon with 27 inches of snow and drifts at some spots that were over 10ft deep. Penn dot had a grader completely buried about 3 miles from my house. It got stuck sat night and by morning you couldn't see it. It was at a place that it always drifts bad.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I went to a couple of places that I found oysters earlier this winter and there were a lot of old ones. I don't know if they were the old ones that I left, but if they were they are a lot bigger. I took one from the second area that didn't look too bad and the center was white and solid, so I am going to peel the outer edge off and see what it tastes like.
IMG_4091.JPG
IMG_4089.JPG
IMG_4088.JPG

·
Registered
598 Posts
redfred, he doesn't make the weather ,he just predicts it. But sometimes it is right and sometimes wrong. He hit it right in the movie. lol
It is a really good boost to the economy in that little town and everyone has a good time. You know how it is getting cabin fever waiting for the mushrooms, so this gives everyone a chance to get out and party.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I find it amazing how sunny it usually is on Feb. 2! Going forward 6 weeks from that date puts you in mid-March, which is about when Winter starts really letting go. Think about it. It's a self fulfilling prophecy!

Still, after last year I wouldn't mind an early Spring this year.

·
Registered
238 Posts
View attachment 24040 Took the smoke pole for a walk Saturday saw this tree and stopped to look around and could see a log with old chickens another with Turkey tail and another with some kind of polypore. Lots of tulip poplar. Definitely a place of interest for spring
Hello all and a belated Happy New Year! Noticed what I know as "Princess Pine" in your photo. I'm curious as whether anyone has ever found morels among them. I find morels very close to where they are but never among them. Anyone?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I went to a couple of places that I found oysters earlier this winter and there were a lot of old ones. I don't know if they were the old ones that I left, but if they were they are a lot bigger. I took one from the second area that didn't look too bad and the center was white and solid, so I am going to peel the outer edge off and see what it tastes like. View attachment 24430 View attachment 24432 View attachment 24434
Nice treat for this time of year!

1 - 20 of 277 Posts