Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 277 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts
Hello all and a belated Happy New Year! Noticed what I know as "Princess Pine" in your photo. I'm curious as whether anyone has ever found morels among them. I find morels very close to where they are but never among them. Anyone?
@morelsxs i likewise find Morels along the outside edges , but not out in the middle of a patch of pines, exception being when there is a dying elm or other typical host tree, out in the middle of pines..

·
Registered
598 Posts
Wade,that's 2 weeks earlier than last year for Georgia. I hope it doesn't come too early for us up here. If they start for a week and we get a heavy freeze for a few days it could be a real short season. That would be about the 3rd or 4th week in march for southwestern pa. Which in central pa would make it close to the middle of april.

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts
Wade,that's 2 weeks earlier than last year for Georgia. I hope it doesn't come too early for us up here. If they start for a week and we get a heavy freeze for a few days it could be a real short season. That would be about the 3rd or 4th week in march for southwestern pa. Which in central pa would make it close to the middle of april.
yep i noticed that.. a lot can still change over the next 7 weeks...
i know we all hope it to come in just right
We are about to find out..

·
Registered
598 Posts
I took my 10 yr old grandson and the beagle for a 2 hr hike today to look for sheds. He found 2, left side with a y and a left side 4point. I wasn't much help because I was looking more in the tree tops to see if they were dead. :) I will be going back to this area in late April -early May.
IMG_4094.JPG
IMG_4096.JPG
IMG_4097.JPG

·
Registered
290 Posts
I took my 10 yr old grandson and the beagle for a 2 hr hike today to look for sheds. He found 2, left side with a y and a left side 4point. I wasn't much help because I was looking more in the tree tops to see if they were dead. :) I will be going back to this area in late April -early May. View attachment 24680 View attachment 24682 View attachment 24684
I can see why you want to go back. I’m not sure if you were babysitting because of schools off for Presidents‘ Day, scouting for morels, or training a future morel hunter but I would bet the house that one 10 year old had a great day...... best of luck and keep it up...

·
Registered
598 Posts
redfred, if you click on the picture right above the letters AF, it will show you a picture that was cut into the bark showing a buck head. it doesn't show up real well at normal size.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In SWPA, I’ve only once found yellows in March... 2012. First week of April in 2010. The norm in my areas is 3rd/4th week April.

This could easily be another March morel year... though it depends on weather staying mild. Current forecasts say colder than normal March... we’ll see.

Happy 2020 season to all!

·
Registered
8 Posts
This weather is really getting me anxious for spring. I remember that it was just about the same temperatures in Feb. of 1993, and the members who were in central pa remember what happened in the middle of march 1993. I don't remember how the morel season went that year.
I was just discussing that with a friend. Weather models are moving toward a set up favorable to March blizzard in the NE US. Lots can change by then.
I do recall thinking winter was over just before the blizzard of 93 hit.

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts
I took my 10 yr old grandson and the beagle for a 2 hr hike today to look for sheds. He found 2, left side with a y and a left side 4point. I wasn't much help because I was looking more in the tree tops to see if they were dead. :) I will be going back to this area in late April -early May. View attachment 24680 View attachment 24682
those are Beautiful Woods. wher are you near... @beagleboy

·
Registered
598 Posts
Get the permethrin out. I thought that 32 degrees would be cold enough to keep the ticks away, so I didn't spray today. I picked 2 off my pants. They were moving pretty slow.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Get the permethrin out. I thought that 32 degrees would be cold enough to keep the ticks away, so I didn't spray today. I picked 2 off my pants. They were moving pretty slow.
It seems to me around this time last year you found ticks.... Now I’ve heard of some guys being “chick magnets “ but “ tick magnets” you can keep that title all to yourself.... I do believe in the permethrin, I didn’t find one tick on me last year...

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts
Them Damm TICKS.. i just don't see the need for them.. other than to scare some people from even going into the Woods.
you know what i mean, they help keep it so less people go into the woods..
therefore helps preserve and protect
the Woods/ Forests

21 - 40 of 277 Posts