MORELS 2020 CHIT CHAT

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Jan 3, 2020.

1. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

@morelsxs i likewise find Morels along the outside edges , but not out in the middle of a patch of pines, exception being when there is a dying elm or other typical host tree, out in the middle of pines..

Kokomorel likes this.
  2. wade

its on down in Georgia Yall..
    on pastorj 's Thread
    get ya 2 pair a boots and a Rain coat Ready !
    Screenshot_20200213-194116_Samsung Internet.jpg

3. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

Wade,that's 2 weeks earlier than last year for Georgia. I hope it doesn't come too early for us up here. If they start for a week and we get a heavy freeze for a few days it could be a real short season. That would be about the 3rd or 4th week in march for southwestern pa. Which in central pa would make it close to the middle of april.

Kokomorel and (deleted member) like this.
  4. wade

yep i noticed that.. a lot can still change over the next 7 weeks...
    i know we all hope it to come in just right
    We are about to find out..

beagleboy likes this.
  5. beagleboy

I took my 10 yr old grandson and the beagle for a 2 hr hike today to look for sheds. He found 2, left side with a y and a left side 4point. I wasn't much help because I was looking more in the tree tops to see if they were dead. :) I will be going back to this area in late April -early May. IMG_4094.JPG IMG_4096.JPG IMG_4097.JPG

6. beagleboy

This tree was beside a ladder stand, It looks like they were keeping a record of bucks shot at this spot years ago. It must be a good spot my grandson found the 4point horn less than fifty yards away. IMG_4098.JPG

7. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

I can see why you want to go back. I’m not sure if you were babysitting because of schools off for Presidents‘ Day, scouting for morels, or training a future morel hunter but I would bet the house that one 10 year old had a great day...... best of luck and keep it up...

8. redfred

Morel poacher count ????

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  9. beagleboy

I hope not, because there might be one more slash on the tree come spring. :D

2 people like this.
  10. beagleboy

redfred, if you click on the picture right above the letters AF, it will show you a picture that was cut into the bark showing a buck head. it doesn't show up real well at normal size.

Kokomorel and (deleted member) like this.
  11. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Yep! That one side makes it look like a nice 8 point!

beagleboy likes this.
  12. Rippers2

Rippers2 Morel Enthusiast

In SWPA, I’ve only once found yellows in March... 2012. First week of April in 2010. The norm in my areas is 3rd/4th week April.

This could easily be another March morel year... though it depends on weather staying mild. Current forecasts say colder than normal March... we’ll see.

Happy 2020 season to all!

13. Rippers2

Rippers2 Morel Enthusiast

I was just discussing that with a friend. Weather models are moving toward a set up favorable to March blizzard in the NE US. Lots can change by then.
    I do recall thinking winter was over just before the blizzard of 93 hit.

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  14. wade

15. beagleboy

wade,that was in Snyder co. pa. I hunt Snyder and Mifflin co most often.

1 person likes this.
  16. beagleboy

Get the permethrin out. I thought that 32 degrees would be cold enough to keep the ticks away, so I didn't spray today. I picked 2 off my pants. They were moving pretty slow.

2 people like this.
  17. redfred

It seems to me around this time last year you found ticks.... Now I’ve heard of some guys being “chick magnets “ but “ tick magnets” you can keep that title all to yourself.... I do believe in the permethrin, I didn’t find one tick on me last year...

18. wade

Them Damm TICKS.. i just don't see the need for them.. other than to scare some people from even going into the Woods.
    you know what i mean, they help keep it so less people go into the woods..
    therefore helps preserve and protect
    the Woods/ Forests

19. beagleboy

Today I saw a good sign of spring, a groundhog opened up his burrow. IMG_4101.JPG

20. beagleboy

I also found 3 large ash trees that were still living. Its been quite a few years since that I saw any. I haven't had any luck finding morels around dead ones, but used to find them around live ones. This area has both. I did spray today, no ticks. IMG_4103.JPG IMG_4102.JPG

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    5 people like this.