Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

81 - 100 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I took a hike today in an area in Mifflin co. that has ramps.The first picture was taken about 100yds deep in the woods, the second picture was taken on the edge of the same woods. Both temps were about the same but there were a few ramps just starting to show on the edge, but nothing back in the woods. I think that there must have been enough sun the last few days that the more open areas ground temp was higher. View attachment 25628 View attachment 25626

·
Registered
549 Posts
I took a hike today in an area in Mifflin co. that has ramps.The first picture was taken about 100yds deep in the woods, the second picture was taken on the edge of the same woods. Both temps were about the same but there were a few ramps just starting to show on the edge, but nothing back in the woods. I think that there must have been enough sun the last few days that the more open areas ground temp was higher. View attachment 25628 View attachment 25626
This past weekend, we had the rarity of two cloudless, sunny days here in NE Ohio. In the early afternoon of the second day, I took a temp reading in the middle of my back yard which had been in full sun all day. I got 45-46*, so we have a way to go.

I noticed ramps starting yesterday. Great sight. They will spark up Thursday and Friday with warm temps and rain. Eating ramps will help with social distancing.
My ramp spot is in a creek bottom. Cool down in there, so they're usually a little later. Although, I did find some growing up top, right beside the road last year. Only problem is this is in a county metropark where, supposedly, no hunting or gathering is supposed to happen. Yeah, right! I know this place gets gathered like crazy! We can always spot each other and trade knowing looks. But I can't be a total scofflaw and pick right out in the open.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Careful. They are prolific. Find another patch or ask for permission to dig some up, transplant them at home. Never had a fail and in fact have had them grow by accident by disposing of cut off roots.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thought I'd share that 1st day of trout is changin' here in PA due to the c-virus. You'll have to copy and paste this and put www. in front of it for the link to work. It doesn't allow me to do it -- considers it SPAM.

ydr.com/story/news/local/2020/03/17/coronavirus-pa-2020-trout-season-changes-opener-stocking/5066732002/

·
Registered
549 Posts
Careful. They are prolific. Find another patch or ask for permission to dig some up, transplant them at home. Never had a fail and in fact have had them grow by accident by disposing of cut off roots.
Prolific? Tell me about it! They grow as far, and beyond, as the eye can see. From the spot where I actually gather, to where they grow alongside the road, it's a good 1/2 to 3/4 mile! I could haul a wheelbarrow full of them out of there every day for a month, and not really put a dent in them!

But, the park board wants to treat it like a pristine wilderness, which it absolutely is not! Heck, there's a golf course across the road! I think they ought to offer courses in wild gathering, but what do I know?

·
Registered
238 Posts
XS, very grateful that you posted this.
Most welcome SWPA. Came across it by chance. Saw on the Illinois board that DNR was closing all state parks and activities because of the CV. Caused me some alarm so I went to see what PA was up to. Luckily, the only thing I found was the date change for 1st day.

·
Super Moderator
1,931 Posts
I Will Hunt..!

We Will Hunt..!

I Will Hunt..!

We Will Hunt..!

We Will Hunt..!

We Will Hunt..!

I Will Hunt..!

and to Anyone and Everyone ..

You Should Already Know Better ..

** So Don't Even Try to Stop Me **

Get Your Stealth On Yall !!

·
Registered
196 Posts
To be honest, I've had it with morels. I had a number of areas that either stopped producing suddenly or are getting overpicked. Luckily, I am a birder too, so I can usually ramp up a huge list while failing with morels. That, and picking ramps :p

·
Registered
97 Posts
trahn
SPECTACULAR pic with the water in the background and what looks like a white birch tree next to the hen. Really amazing, lifetime site, and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No pictures, but a buddy of mine found 14 in his yard in Westmoreland county today. He gets some there every year and is always happy to tell me. I may have to take a ride down off the mountain next week

·
Registered
97 Posts
Trahn008,
Re-looking at your pic it looks like a cockbird, looks like unbroken dark tail markings. It's always hard to tell. Was it drumming or protecting eggs? Either way, just an amazing picture.

81 - 100 of 277 Posts