MORELS 2020 CHIT CHAT

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Jan 3, 2020.

1. swpa

swpa Morel Connoisseur

2. swpa

swpa Morel Connoisseur

I noticed ramps starting yesterday. Great sight. They will spark up Thursday and Friday with warm temps and rain. Eating ramps will help with social distancing.

3. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

This past weekend, we had the rarity of two cloudless, sunny days here in NE Ohio. In the early afternoon of the second day, I took a temp reading in the middle of my back yard which had been in full sun all day. I got 45-46*, so we have a way to go.

My ramp spot is in a creek bottom. Cool down in there, so they're usually a little later. Although, I did find some growing up top, right beside the road last year. Only problem is this is in a county metropark where, supposedly, no hunting or gathering is supposed to happen. Yeah, right! I know this place gets gathered like crazy! We can always spot each other and trade knowing looks. But I can't be a total scofflaw and pick right out in the open.

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  4. swpa

swpa Morel Connoisseur

Careful. They are prolific. Find another patch or ask for permission to dig some up, transplant them at home. Never had a fail and in fact have had them grow by accident by disposing of cut off roots.

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  5. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

Thought I'd share that 1st day of trout is changin' here in PA due to the c-virus. You'll have to copy and paste this and put www. in front of it for the link to work. It doesn't allow me to do it -- considers it SPAM.

ydr.com/story/news/local/2020/03/17/coronavirus-pa-2020-trout-season-changes-opener-stocking/5066732002/

1 person likes this.
  6. swpa

swpa Morel Connoisseur

XS, very grateful that you posted this.

1 person likes this.
  7. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Prolific? Tell me about it! They grow as far, and beyond, as the eye can see. From the spot where I actually gather, to where they grow alongside the road, it's a good 1/2 to 3/4 mile! I could haul a wheelbarrow full of them out of there every day for a month, and not really put a dent in them!

But, the park board wants to treat it like a pristine wilderness, which it absolutely is not! Heck, there's a golf course across the road! I think they ought to offer courses in wild gathering, but what do I know?

1 person likes this.
  8. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

Most welcome SWPA. Came across it by chance. Saw on the Illinois board that DNR was closing all state parks and activities because of the CV. Caused me some alarm so I went to see what PA was up to. Luckily, the only thing I found was the date change for 1st day.

1 person likes this.
  9. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I Will Hunt..!

We Will Hunt..!

I Will Hunt..!

We Will Hunt..!

We Will Hunt..!

We Will Hunt..!

I Will Hunt..!

and to Anyone and Everyone ..

You Should Already Know Better ..

** So Don't Even Try to Stop Me **

Get Your Stealth On Yall !!

10. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

I saw on another site where someone was supposed to have found some in berks co. He had pictures but no verifying date. I took a hike for a couple of hours on a south facing slope today, it looks too early yet. This little guy was soaking the sun up though. IMG_4133.JPG

6 people like this.
  11. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

This elm has been a good producer the last few years, now this winter the last of the bark fell off. I hope it still will have some this year. IMG_4138.JPG IMG_4139.JPG

3 people like this.
  12. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

In years past, when I found morels, once the bark was off like that, I never found morels again. Back when I used to find morels. In years past... :p

13. wade

i have an elm so very similar and it has never stoped producing big Morels ..
    could be good for years more

Kbshroom, Tool fan, beagleboy and 2 others like this.
  14. steelernation

Wade - and that is the mystery of the #%@$-ed things!

15. wade

and
    We do Love The Mystery part of Our Hunt
    Don't We.
    What an Absolutely Wonderful time..

16. steelernation

To be honest, I've had it with morels. I had a number of areas that either stopped producing suddenly or are getting overpicked. Luckily, I am a birder too, so I can usually ramp up a huge list while failing with morels. That, and picking ramps :p

2 people like this.
  17. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Out on the quad today and almost got into a fight! Good to see a bird that has been in decline. 8C4EB801-76D0-42DA-B0E1-13A998193C9B.jpeg

18. swpa

swpa Morel Connoisseur

trahn
    SPECTACULAR pic with the water in the background and what looks like a white birch tree next to the hen. Really amazing, lifetime site, and thanks for sharing.

3 people like this.