Morels found Sioux City area of Iowa

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by oldlords, Apr 24, 2015.

1. oldlords

oldlords Morel Enthusiast

I Always come here for help from you fellow shroomers to know about what time to hunt each year. So I thought I'd help out some. I found 21 morels today in the Sioux City area in one of my hot spots. They were all newcomers and very small. Good news is they have started around here.Should not be much longer till we get large yellows.

Here's a picture of today's finds. April 24 2015 Sioux City Iowa

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. oldlords

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017

3. oldlords

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  4. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Live Wire. Hills worth looking at up by you yet? Or do you have any suggestions? Really not to bad down this way, but the north slopes are just starting so..... its time. My snowball bush says its close. Here's my number if you don't want to post. 261-0112

5. livewire

livewire Morel Enthusiast

KB really spoty here good trees 12 shrooms next one none. More nones than hits. Got alot of millage on the ones I have. Let me know when you head north maybe hook up. Trying new area saturday. GOOD HUNTING

6. mivame

mivame Morel Enthusiast

Kb-river is money to onawa or so, spotty n...hills should b on @ ia border.hills at least wk behind bottoms same longitude...MHO...be crazy popping this wk, just a lil warmth...peace...

7. mivame

mivame Morel Enthusiast

Thx4 pics oldlords! Gotta love those first little ones...good hunting...

8. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

mivame, yeah they are on the border. How do the river bottoms look up there? I heard from many that now that the trees are gone from the flood that snake grass and weeds have taken over.

9. mivame

mivame Morel Enthusiast

Kb-its different for sure.look for places with thicker timber,they are more like normal bottoms. Gotta have some canopy or grass is tall. Don't bother with bare white cottonwoods. They drowned out and for some reason will not produce?? Stick with ur typical traumatized trees and you'll do fine. Took me 2-3hrs to get the hang of it. I'll b on river north of mo valley morrow&Tues. Keep you posted. Friends near coon rapids ,is doing well in hills... fyi. Only hill report I've heard from my area. Mid week all of ia should b a poppin...peace...

10. mivame

mivame Morel Enthusiast

Little Sioux ia- lost count!!!12#s 5hrs. All fresh greys no yellows. 200+ under one cottonwood!! Great week to be anywhere on the missoo...don't forget ne side also. At least one more day here. So many trees...peace...

11. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

wow, Mivame, I know that timber I think, and the ones you are headed to. I wish I was off work this week. I do feel a little cough coming on though. Sounds like you are enjoying yourself. Did you see many others out today. It was real hard to go to work.

12. mivame

mivame Morel Enthusiast

Kb- lots of woods!! I travel by boat, saw 2 other boats with 7 guys total, the ramp I was @...no one else in woods. That's the reason for boat. New ground everyday, I like hunting not picking...GPS turned off: ) that said google earth is the best thing to help since the compass!! 1 or 2 days then look out shroomgod! Plans are falling into place. B in Davis county end of the week...

13. mivame

mivame Morel Enthusiast

Did roadie after the hunt. People out in all the right spots, but very sparse for the acres. Monday and all, but surprisingly few after 5ers. In bar, check on hills 4 you KB...

14. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

thanks Mivame, I wish I had a boat. That is the only way to do rivers right. Yeah google is great. wish i had it 30 years ago.

15. oldlords

I should know this by now ,but I got a question. Are the greys just immature yellows or are the yellows a different flush altogether ? I always went hunting later in the month in past years and only found big yellows. If I can go earlier this year and get greys then later yellows,that would be awesome. I don't want to go early to my spots and pick all the greys if it blows the big yellows chance.

Can someone please answer my question? hope you get what I'm asking. Thanks

16. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

From my experience, small grey will be larger grey later. The super big yellows later in year are different species. Some immature yellow morels might look like grey at first, usually can tell the difference tho.

17. mivame

mivame Morel Enthusiast

4-28 north of onawa, did not do as well. Found about4#'s greys&few yellows. Lot of walking. Just out of woods today 4-29. Back near mo valley. Almost all yellows.6# grass getting deep, but still popping. Special Thx to the guy who marked all his trees and lost his sack!!! U can have the sack back,its empty now, but not the marker streamers!! I collect them! Good hunting...

18. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

mivame, thanks for the info. Did you get south of Omaha on the river? Did you talk to anyone about the hills by Mo.val? We are on our last good week down here. big beauties on the n. slopes.

19. mivame

mivame Morel Enthusiast

Kb Guys finding in hills. Selling in bars for 20$/lb. Heard more in mo valley than onawa. Buddy near Pawnee city finding yellows but drying out. Could use drink, chances Fri and all nxt week. Could b crazy good year! Prbly not back that way til next week. Heading Davis county fri, look out shroomgod!!!...peace...