Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
About the grey morels being different than yellows, come to think of it I picked some greys and went back 2 weeks to find these very nice big yellows. Right in the same spot. I am thinking now mabey there just young yellows. Another year I saw a whole bunch small greys and came back a week later and not 1 left, no stumps. I guess I dont know for sure.

·
Registered
946 Posts
In general they tend to turn faster in warmer/sunnier conditions. Which is why you can pick big greys on north slopes at season's end. Most times unless it has been real cloudy/misty on other slopes the sun gets to them. Just my observations from leaving dozens of patches to grow over the years. Its hard to leave them now, to many pickers, but up till about 15 years ago it was pretty easy in some spots. And I still do in select spots. sometimes they just rot fast, sometimes they get huge. Real hot days and nights blows them up like you would not believe at mid season and beyond.if its wet. Be interesting to see how those in the picture turn out if left to grow a week. Spray them with distilled or rain water if they start to dry. Hard to believe they grow at all at 34, wow. Are they catching sun?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Mivame, how'd Davis Co. pan out? I was down that way Wednesday but avoided Davis Co. because I figured you'd picked 'em all. You didn't happen to venture north to the Eldon, Selma or Douds area, did you? I can't think of another reason why I found so few (and saw so many stems). It's all but over down there.

·
Registered
321 Posts
cnewbykkn that's a really fascinating photo. Those cold nights remind me of what we had here April 21-24 or thereabouts. Immature ones seem to endure the cold relatively well, but the more mature ones (in southern Iowa) were clearly frostbitten.

Time to pick and eat those!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.