1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Morels in Brown Deer?

Discussion in 'Wisconsin' started by bwash, May 17, 2013.

1. bwash

bwash Young Morel

New to Morel hunting, love hunting for beach glass, Monarch worms and now Morels, is there any chance of finding some in the Brown Deer area? If so, how do you determine the stand of woods to look in? Do we need to travel north to Kettle Morraine to find some or can they be found here? Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. howart

howart Young Morel

Dead elm trees with bark still on them, dead apple trees. If the dead elm is completely bark-free, chances are you won't find any morels under them. Even elms as small as 4 inches in diameter, if dead and bark still on them, will produce morels. You can find them in the Brown Deer area - you need to get a 4-foot stick and sweep the vegetation aside when you find a likely looking tree - the garlic mustard and other vegetation has a good head start already. Mushroom picking has been good in Southern Wisconsin for the past 10 days or so.

3. bwash

bwash Young Morel

Thanks for the tips, hunting has been good the past 10 days?? I thought it would have been a little too cold. Did go walking in Havenwoods last weekend for a short time and found some ramps and a few oddball shrooms but no Morels. Was thinking the conditions had to be near close to prime right now, but what do I know?? Just need to find some time to spend in the woods and find the right woods, really hoping to hit a spot of Morels this year. Need all the help I can get.

4. bwash

bwash Young Morel

We hit a nice spot today, in our area, so happy to find some, all yellows, will keep searching.