1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Morels in New York

Discussion in 'New York' started by vabb9, Apr 22, 2015.

1. vabb9

vabb9 Morel Enthusiast

Hey everyone. I am living in South Carolina and found my first morels (about 13 lbs total between four of us) and am coming back home to NY in the summer (May 15th). Was wondering what areas might be best to check out that are closest to Long Island and what times you guys normally see them fruiting. I am not expecting exact spots haha i know how it goes.

2. beerstalker

beerstalker Morel Enthusiast

May 15th should be end season-don't bother unpacking-get out and storm the woods-funny think happened last year-I was about a week late for my honeyhole-and all I saw were 6-8'' cleared spots all over the ground-looked to me like squirrels got them.I found 1 morel-very sad year-Anyone else ever have a situation like this??

3. vabb9

vabb9 Morel Enthusiast

Man that is sad news. What part of NY are you in?

4. beerstalker

beerstalker Morel Enthusiast

Sussex Co NJ/Sullivan Co NY. Went to a spot in NJ today-Nothin yet,Patience, , , ,GRRRRR

5. fogwhisper

fogwhisper Morel Connoisseur

Should be very soon for you beerstalker

6. vabb9

vabb9 Morel Enthusiast

You think the 15th is going to be too late? I am dying to get some more morels.

7. jcumo saratoga

jcumo saratoga Morel Connoisseur

I found them the 1st weekend in june last year but that was north of lake george

8. hotsauce

hotsauce Young Morel

I created an account just to come and give you some encouragement. Much like you, I found my first morels last year. I was still novice, so I only took about ~25% of the mushrooms I found. After experiencing the culinary delight that ensued I was kicking myself for not having collected more.

I found them on May 25th to be exact (Memorial Day weekend) in Lake George and will be returning to my spot this Memorial Day to try my luck again.

I'm not sure if last year was just a late year but I still have hope for this weekend! Any NYers having any luck this season?

9. gmichael7

gmichael7 Morel Enthusiast

I'm here in Saratoga, and have been discouraged from going out due to the dryness and heat. This week has a couple of rain chances, and some cool-downs over night, but this is nothing like the conditions from last year when I found a bumper-crop down in the mid-hudson valley. I'd love to go up near Lake George, but I'm still new to the upstate area . Hey hotsauce - I make some killer hot sauce and will trade a few big bottles for a few pointers on Lake George area foraging sites!

10. hotsauce

hotsauce Young Morel

My spot is lakeside - literally a stone's throw from the water. I'll be broadening my search this year and I'll report back if I find anything worth sharing.

11. jcumo saratoga

jcumo saratoga Morel Connoisseur

@gmichael7

Im in Saratoga too. This season has been rough. Havnt found a single one. Found a couple of oysters drying out the other day. I went to a spot in Lake George over the weekend that I had found them before and there was nothing.