Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been on the lookout but haven't found anything yet, it doesn't help that the gates are locked and parking lots barricaded near my favorite haunts, anybody finding any flushes of mushrooms of any variety yet?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Been on the lookout but haven't found anything yet, it doesn't help that the gates are locked and parking lots barricaded near my favorite haunts, anybody finding any flushes of mushrooms of any variety yet?
Legend. Same issue here in Connecticut. Lots blocked off. Roadside parking at a premium. This weekend should help us out. Near 70's during the day and actual warmer temps at night!! Can you believe it?! Plenty of rain too. Get up early. Find a spot to park....and disappear. Keep looking and good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will probably hit the cemetery later today to do a survey..... find a lot of variety growing especially when there is old growth..actually one of the forays in NYC is Woodlawn Cemetery... lotta history there

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found 26 in Mercer County two days ago. It’s my understanding that by the end of April they are pretty much done in NJ.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I found 26 in Mercer County two days ago. It’s my understanding that by the end of April they are pretty much done in NJ.
Hello Beth, I’m new here as of today. I’ve been researching habitat and vegetation but only started getting out on Saturday to more than just a couple of small places. On Tuesday in what can only be described as a fluke when I wasn’t even looking for morels that I found the first one and it was big, Which means they are maturing towards the end of the season. But if we have certain weather conditions, there may be a possibility of finding more around here.
When is the actual end of the season usually here in central New Jersey? I have read that is the beginning of June depending on conditions. I hope that’s true. There is another New Jersey forum here...I think it is something that says Central new Jersey.- There is someone wanting to organize a group expedition to Northern New Jersey to hunt and to learn the hunting conditions there together, social distancing of course. Go see if you’d like to join in, if they do that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I will probably hit the cemetery later today to do a survey..... find a lot of variety growing especially when there is old growth..actually one of the forays in NYC is Woodlawn Cemetery... lotta history there
Lotta food for mushrooms there also!… Just kidding, but couldn’t resist

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Beth, I’m new here as of today. I’ve been researching habitat and vegetation but only started getting out on Saturday to more than just a couple of small places. On Tuesday in what can only be described as a fluke when I wasn’t even looking for morels that I found the first one and it was big, Which means they are maturing towards the end of the season. But if we have certain weather conditions, there may be a possibility of finding more around here.
When is the actual end of the season usually here in central New Jersey? I have read that is the beginning of June depending on conditions. I hope that’s true. There is another New Jersey forum here...I think it is something that says Central new Jersey.- There is someone wanting to organize a group expedition to Northern New Jersey to hunt and to learn the hunting conditions there together, social distancing of course. Go see if you’d like to join in, if they do that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks. Was told they were done by the end of April, but that was after I looked in May for 25 years and never found them. This year was tough with so much rain and cold weather in April. Still the May Apples are blooming here so, to me that says it’s time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If they do organize it do you think it would be possible to give me a heads up? I would love to learn in a hands on way. Thank you!

·
Registered
72 Posts
North jersey had snow all weekend and below freezing temps. It was 17 degrees real feel Sat. Can’t help us.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I found 8 yesterday in a spot that normally would produce in late April. The colder spring leads me to believe this season could go later than normal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts