Most morels you've found at 1 tree or specific area

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by mushroom jake, Apr 5, 2017.

1. mushroom jake

mushroom jake Morel Enthusiast

With the season now on us I got to thinking about some of my best finds. Probably my best was in a 30 foot diameter area around a dying elm. We found well over 100. What are your bests?

FITTYSPENCE likes this.
  2. Catscratch

Catscratch Morel Enthusiast

We come across similar jackpots once in a while. 100 is probably pushing it but I bet we've found 60+ under one tree a few times.

FITTYSPENCE likes this.

3. FITTYSPENCE

FITTYSPENCE Morel Enthusiast

Yeah I found about 50 in one spot around a tree under one of my old deer stands.

4. Kbshroom

Kbshroom Morel Enthusiast

That's what keeps me going. Always knowing the next tree could be the one.

John1965 likes this.
  5. Kbshroom

Kbshroom Morel Enthusiast

My friend and I found around 50
    in one area. Definitely best I have ever done

6. aadavis422

aadavis422 Morel Enthusiast

the most I found was when I wasn't even looking for them. I was at swope park in kansas city playing disc golf and the wind took my Frisbee into the woods. went in to look for it and hit the jackpot!! probably 70 or better. didn't have a bag to put them in so I tied the sleeves of my jacket and went to filling it up. my buddies that I was playing with kept asking if I found my Frisbee or if I needed any help. I was picking as fast as I could before they figured out what was up. needless to say I had to share

7. yocham85

yocham85 Morel Enthusiast

Found 80 this year undet one elm in oklahoma

8. trotline

trotline Morel Connoisseur

I remember it was May 9th and mushroom season should have been over. I was looking for a new place to take my daughter fishing and did a scouting trip to see if the spot I picked would be any good. Grabbed my poles and gear in a bucket, and started the long trek across a field to the river. Strip of woods was along the river and soon as I stepped in the timber I noticed a mushroom. Naturally I looked for more till it got dark, came back the next day and picked a total of 109 in that little strip. Picked the ones I'd stepped in the day before. Big silver maple trees along the river. Been back every year since then and pick a few but never as many as that first time.

FITTYSPENCE likes this.
  9. Clint Beed

Clint Beed Morel Enthusiast

One time I found like 4. Pretty impressive

Woodsybroad likes this.
  10. jetcar

jetcar Morel Enthusiast

A few years back during a so-so year I found 153 under one tree. I had never seen that tree produce before then and it never did afterward - in fact it died right after this big flush and I've never seen another mushroom there, even on good years. The mushrooms were like clones of each other, almost identical in size, age, etc.

FITTYSPENCE likes this.
  11. jslwalls

jslwalls Morel Enthusiast

One year I found 18 pounds under two dying elms growing right beside each other. It took me over two hours to pick it. It filled up 3 sacks and I had to call it a day because I couldn't carry anymore. I hope I see that again once more in my life time.

12. mmh

mmh Morel Connoisseur

Wife and I came across an elm where we stopped counting at 125, unfortunately they were all dry and small, clustered into several areas about the size of a Frisbee. Did pick about 6 of good size. Always dream of what could have been.

13. dustmight

dustmight Young Morel

Near 100 encircling a single apple tree in an old forgotten orchard

14. kb st.joe.mo

kb st.joe.mo Morel Enthusiast

I think this thread hits the real thrill in hunting morels, what you might get is always the nuts. Even in crappy years you always got the sluggers shot of hitting one. I have not picked one yet this year but I got dreams of bagging one of those trees/spots. I really can't tell you guys the most I have picked on one tree, never thought of counting and when I try I usually lose track. I did get to 144 on one elm 2 years ago, but I know I have done better than that many times. I believe this year is either going to totally suck due to that long warm dry spell we had in mid march, or as I hope going to be a killer with the warm up coming. Hope one of you guys hits a tree loaded with 2000 this year. Its out there somewhere.

FITTYSPENCE likes this.
  15. glassman

glassman Morel Connoisseur

FB_IMG_1488677108753.jpg I don't how big of area y'all are talking about, but I've you a spot that is about 150 yards wide and probably 400 yards long. These pics are 3 Saturdays in a row. A couple years ago. 6 of us picked all day till we just couldn't take it anymore. It flooded the next year and didn't do very good last year, but it's doing pretty good this year, but nothing like that year. FB_IMG_1488677329039.jpg FB_IMG_1488677316902.jpg

16. morchella ed

morchella ed Morel Enthusiast

Between and around one large dying elm and another smaller one about 20 yards away, my lady and I picked up over 120. If only we had waited a few days they would have been a great size!

17. Catscratch

Catscratch Morel Enthusiast

In the kindest of words... you suck!

That is a LOT of mushrooms!!!

1 person likes this.
  18. mellowmushiestl

mellowmushiestl Young Morel

My first year hunting we stumbled along a spot about like the one glassman hit. It was probably 6 years ago along a river, a patch of woods in the middle of a field in a flood plane. Me and a group of buddies picked for a few days straight, never leaving with less than 2 orange sacks crammed full each. The next year the property was half logged. Never been the same since.

1 person likes this.
  19. newb87

newb87 Morel Connoisseur

Today actally, don't have a exact count yet but found 7lbs this evening under one tree dying elm near the river.

20170407_193839.jpg

FITTYSPENCE likes this.
  20. FITTYSPENCE

FITTYSPENCE Morel Enthusiast

Where you at down south newb87?