Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the season now on us I got to thinking about some of my best finds. Probably my best was in a 30 foot diameter area around a dying elm. We found well over 100. What are your bests?

·
Registered
32 Posts
We come across similar jackpots once in a while. 100 is probably pushing it but I bet we've found 60+ under one tree a few times.

·
Registered
6 Posts
the most I found was when I wasn't even looking for them. I was at swope park in kansas city playing disc golf and the wind took my Frisbee into the woods. went in to look for it and hit the jackpot!! probably 70 or better. didn't have a bag to put them in so I tied the sleeves of my jacket and went to filling it up. my buddies that I was playing with kept asking if I found my Frisbee or if I needed any help. I was picking as fast as I could before they figured out what was up. needless to say I had to share

·
Registered
92 Posts
I remember it was May 9th and mushroom season should have been over. I was looking for a new place to take my daughter fishing and did a scouting trip to see if the spot I picked would be any good. Grabbed my poles and gear in a bucket, and started the long trek across a field to the river. Strip of woods was along the river and soon as I stepped in the timber I noticed a mushroom. Naturally I looked for more till it got dark, came back the next day and picked a total of 109 in that little strip. Picked the ones I'd stepped in the day before. Big silver maple trees along the river. Been back every year since then and pick a few but never as many as that first time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A few years back during a so-so year I found 153 under one tree. I had never seen that tree produce before then and it never did afterward - in fact it died right after this big flush and I've never seen another mushroom there, even on good years. The mushrooms were like clones of each other, almost identical in size, age, etc.

·
Registered
146 Posts
One year I found 18 pounds under two dying elms growing right beside each other. It took me over two hours to pick it. It filled up 3 sacks and I had to call it a day because I couldn't carry anymore. I hope I see that again once more in my life time.

·
Super Moderator
732 Posts
With the season now on us I got to thinking about some of my best finds. Probably my best was in a 30 foot diameter area around a dying elm. We found well over 100. What are your bests?
Wife and I came across an elm where we stopped counting at 125, unfortunately they were all dry and small, clustered into several areas about the size of a Frisbee. Did pick about 6 of good size. Always dream of what could have been.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think this thread hits the real thrill in hunting morels, what you might get is always the nuts. Even in crappy years you always got the sluggers shot of hitting one. I have not picked one yet this year but I got dreams of bagging one of those trees/spots. I really can't tell you guys the most I have picked on one tree, never thought of counting and when I try I usually lose track. I did get to 144 on one elm 2 years ago, but I know I have done better than that many times. I believe this year is either going to totally suck due to that long warm dry spell we had in mid march, or as I hope going to be a killer with the warm up coming. Hope one of you guys hits a tree loaded with 2000 this year. Its out there somewhere.

·
Registered
143 Posts
FB_IMG_1488677108753.jpg
I don't how big of area y'all are talking about, but I've you a spot that is about 150 yards wide and probably 400 yards long. These pics are 3 Saturdays in a row. A couple years ago. 6 of us picked all day till we just couldn't take it anymore. It flooded the next year and didn't do very good last year, but it's doing pretty good this year, but nothing like that year.
FB_IMG_1488677329039.jpg
FB_IMG_1488677316902.jpg

·
Registered
76 Posts
Between and around one large dying elm and another smaller one about 20 yards away, my lady and I picked up over 120. If only we had waited a few days they would have been a great size!

·
Registered
32 Posts
View attachment 199 I don't how big of area y'all are talking about, but I've you a spot that is about 150 yards wide and probably 400 yards long. These pics are 3 Saturdays in a row. A couple years ago. 6 of us picked all day till we just couldn't take it anymore. It flooded the next year and didn't do very good last year, but it's doing pretty good this year, but nothing like that year. View attachment 197 View attachment 198
In the kindest of words... you suck!

That is a LOT of mushrooms!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
My first year hunting we stumbled along a spot about like the one glassman hit. It was probably 6 years ago along a river, a patch of woods in the middle of a field in a flood plane. Me and a group of buddies picked for a few days straight, never leaving with less than 2 orange sacks crammed full each. The next year the property was half logged. Never been the same since.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts