Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
I found a tiny morel growing under an apple tree this morning. I transplanted it under my apple tree . Gave it shade and will keep it watered. I'm going to try to photograph it everyday and post it . should be fun to watch if it doesnt just shrival up and die LOL here is day one

·
Registered
290 Posts
Love the idea Fog! Thought about that a couple years ago but not for documenting, more for propagation.Then thought, if it worked out,I'd have easy morels and loose the fun of finding them.I heard someone say once,but not sure where :roll:,Enjoy the hunt!Gonna get out in next couple days.A lot going on work and home,but will check on your babie's progress! Good luck to everyone!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I just watered it to much. oh well fun while it lasted and I'm sure I will try again.oh and geo the heal all loves my whole yard :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
It won't Work. You can't plant a mushroom. It would take decades to propagate morels, if it can be done at a all.
You Planted the Fruiting Body. Its not a seed. The Mycelium which grows under the soil is the actual plant. The mycelium is white stringy and powdery when dry, you have seen it picking or digging in the woods.

Please read David Aurora's Book "Mushrooms Demystified".

Good luck hunting.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for info old growth. I just wanted to see how big it would get on its own. Not sure I believe it would take decades to propagate them since one showed up in my yard out of the blue. Since I never seen a morel before picking and bringing them home two years ago. It almost had to of come from spores I dropped.I actually know there fruiting bodies but I grabbed some soil with it. It was just for fun and learning purposes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The next time you get a morel in your own yard put a mason jar over the top of it. If it's not in the shade, try to make some. Pour a little water around it every couple of days. Don't use city water (chlorine). My step father's mother use to do this every year. The Yellow morel will fill up the quart jar and she would have to cut it in pieces to get it out. It sounds crazy, but I seen it happen.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts