Mushroom Growing 2019 CHIT CHAT

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, Jan 11, 2019.

1. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Let's talk mushroom growing. Don't have any projects going at the time, but looking to be inspired to fire the lab back up! Happy Growing!

DIYDi and (deleted member) like this.
  2. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

Hey trahn . I was wondering what you or someone else with some experience would recommend for a first timer ? What books or online info is worth a look? What type of shroom you would start with ? Or any general info that you may think would be helpful.

DIYDi likes this.

3. trahn008

Redfed, I learned the trade reading alot of Paul Stamets work. IMAO The bible for growers is Growing Gourmet and Medical Mushrooms by Paul Stamets. Back in the day without the net that was the way read and make mistakes and learn from them. The Shroomery.org https://www.shroomery.org/forums/postlist.php/Board/2 covers everything you ever want to talk about growing mushroom. If your looking for a easy indoor grow oyster mushrooms are a good starter, for outdoor grows plugging logs with shiitake spawn would be a good starter. If you have any questions along the way let me know. Happy Growing!

2 people like this.
  4. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

Trahn, thanks for the info. I received a oyster kit a year ago and had ok results with it. I’ve seen pictures of your and other shiitake logs that make me envious.. l hope to get something going this year so I’m sure I’ll have more questions and I have no doubt I can make mistakes.. thanks again..

5. obi wan morel

obi wan morel Morel Enthusiast

Totally agree with Paul stamets books and shroomrey.org I started base off his books and this is my results so far until spring

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  6. obi wan morel

One of my morel mushroom beds

7. trahn008

Obi, looks like your off to a good start. Do you have a low nutrient barrier around your mother patch? From my experience it's nice to control where your morels fruit. I always make my beds around a wall, water or roadway they act as my low nutrient barrier without having to make one. Happy Growing!

8. trahn008

Redfred, one key for a good fruiting run is RH. One cheap easy way fruiting chamber is a clear tote bottom with holes drilled at the top of it, then use a damp sponge under the tote with your block your looking to fruit. Keep the sponge damp for the fruiting run, I've had really good results using this method. Happy Growing!

9. obi wan morel

No that is hardware wire around the bed so it will keep voles and moles entering the bed that picture is 2 weeks after I planted the spawn but it's close to a drainage ditch so it will help with the humidity

10. trahn008

My next grow plan, This past mushroom season I didn't pick one single lions mane (and I love eating them). I have a ton of different types of mushroom dried but you know how the mind works (Got to have what you don't have). So I'm going to grow some indoors. I have growen a lot of lions mane thru the years and they tend to be quite easy for me. My plan, purchase a liquid culture ( Don't have a good culture to start from anymore) Going to do a wild bird seed with the sunflower seeds removed spawn run pc bag. Once my spawn grows out going with a wood pellet fuel and wild bird seed substrate pc bag. Going to go with a low tech fruiting chamber and hoping to maybe get some pc bags outside if the weather warms up some. I'll post up pic as I go along. Happy Growing!!

11. trahn008

The start of the lions mane grow. Soaking 15lbs. wild bird seed over night for my spawn media. DC0B4533-20E6-4B06-B838-DC9857586CB6.jpeg

12. trahn008

Three PC bags 7lbs. Making 21lbs of lions mane. Next step PCing at 15psi for 1 1/2 hr. Happy Growing! 69F79EA0-C6A7-4B48-90FF-36F766159C97.jpeg

13. trahn008

My method for getting moisture perfect on my Bird seed. I soak them overnight then simmer them on the stove just to warm the seed up. Once seed is warm I strain and lay the seed out on a flat surface so steam comes off until cooled. The seed should not stick together it should roll like marbles when moved around. Happy Growing!

14. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Hey, what's going on. Same here, next door, in central OH. No Herecium last year and it was a record rainfall for central OH.

I still have dried Herecium to powder to use in my cooked cereal and pancakes but I can see the end of it.

Thanks for sharing you grow-out of Lions Mane/Herecium.

2 people like this.
  15. trahn008

Got all bags pressure cooked. Now going liquid culture injection. I’ll post pics as MYC grows. 359F2271-6BBD-40B6-80E9-81BE479D0D3F.jpeg

16. DIYDi

DIYDi Morel Enthusiast

I bought a bag of lions mane last year and am going to make some dowels to put in a jar with some of the medium from the grow bag and hopefully get to plug some oak logs.

1 person likes this.
  17. trahn008

DIYDi, I never had any luck using fresh logs with lions mane plugs. They seem to have to aged some with the bark slipped off. Happy Growing!

DIYDi likes this.
  18. trahn008

Checked the lions mane bags today. 11 days and got some MYC growth moving thru the bird seed. Going to shake them up some to move the MYC around the bag. Happy Growing!! 5E145315-3702-4772-85FE-A69498E08BB6.jpeg

19. trahn008

Is anyone else having trouble uploading photos?

1 person likes this.
  20. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

Yes trahn, I haven't been able to upload any for a while.