Mushroom Id please

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by jparr, Sep 6, 2019.

1. jparr

jparr Morel Enthusiast

This is growing in my yard north central Illinois, any ideas? Edible? Chicken?

Attached Files:

2. More L's?

More L's? Young Morel

Near oak tree? Looks like a hen.

3. jg010682

jg010682 Morel Connoisseur

I dont think thats a hen break a good chunk off the side and flip it over and take another picture

4. jparr

jparr Morel Enthusiast

smells really earthy and it’s meaty plenty of oak trees within 30 yards

Attached Files:

5. jg010682

Is it right next to oaks because hens grow from the roots of oak trees. Just from what im seeing im still not convinced its a hen. Ill have to look through my books when i get home and then i might be able to give you a better idea of what it could be.

6. jparr

jparr Morel Enthusiast

No closest oak 15-20 yards, that oak is 1/4 dead up top. Here’s some pictures of a single section

Attached Files:

7. jg010682

Definitely not hen of the woods then they are always close to a tree ill check my books when i get home and try to figure it out.

8. Jmay

Jmay Morel Enthusiast

Is that staining black on the bottem?
    If so it may be Meripilus sumstinei / black staining polypore.

1 person likes this.
  9. Jmay

Jmay Morel Enthusiast

Its cool looking, I really want to find one.

10. jparr

jparr Morel Enthusiast

No not staining, the more research I do the more it does look like hen but like jg said its far from the trees. There are two and I mowed over them both about three weeks ago when they were half their current size and they fruited again. There are no gills but pores yes. I plan to leave them undisturbed till I figure out what they are. They are growing in layers.

Jmay likes this.
  11. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

Meripilus sumstinei, and look at your third set of pictures. The underneath shows it's definitely staining, and with a little time it will be a dark gray or black. Young fruitings are a good edible. Some say better than the Hens.

12. jparr

jparr Morel Enthusiast

K thanks, with these being close to a month old are they still going to be palatable? And any recommendations on preparation or preservation, with their current size, guessing 25-30 pounds total, I don’t see my family eating that in a week.

13. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

jparr, someone else will have to chime in. I've never dealt with these, just Hens. I would guess you you should preserve them the same.

14. Already Gone

Already Gone Morel Connoisseur

Blah, blah, blah.
    Those are Hen-of-the-woods.
    Fry them in butter with a little garlic.
    Bon appetit!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019 at 9:41 AM
  15. Constance kayser

Constance kayser Young Morel

Hen of the woods. Yes edible if young.

16. jg010682

20190910_175005.jpg 20190910_180640.jpg I hate to inform you 2 but hen of the woods grows from tree roots not in an open field hear are some pictures for referance notice the trees within the view of the hens

17. Already Gone

Already Gone Morel Connoisseur

With all due respect, you are full of it. I have been cutting sheepheads for for well over 50 years.
    Those are Grifola frondosa - maitake/hen-of-the-woods/ram's head/sheepheads.
    They are older than the fresh ones in the pictures above, that's all.
    While it is true that the vast majority are found at the base of old oaks, we have found them several yards away from trees and on isolated, buried(not visible) stumps.

Bon appetit.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019 at 9:43 AM
    2 people like this.