My first morel find!!

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by mushroomnate, May 25, 2016.

1. mushroomnate

mushroomnate Young Morel

Hi, everyone! I'm Nate. Recently discovered my passion for wild mushrooms and have been doing tons of research and foraging.

I was getting a bit discouraged last week after my 5th morel hunt turned up nothing, that maybe in the middle of the city there were none to be found. A few days later, I decided to head back to a spot I had already visited, hoping to photograph a pheasant back I'd seen growing on a log there. I knelt down to get at a better angle to take the photo, annnnnd....

3 morels were hiding quietly behind the log! I felt dizzy with excitement - almost like I was high! I plucked them, being careful to leave the stumps behind, took a step back, and BAM!

[img]

Another one! I picked it and kept looking. Unfortunately I didn't find any more there (I suspect these were a few late season stragglers), but I was THRILLED and HOOKED!!

This was my take for the day:

[img]

Just today I went back to that spot (hoping that after a good rain and some humidity I'd find another couple), and found this whopper:

[img]

Who knows if I'll find any more this year, but I'm hopelessly hooked!! Just wanted to share my excitement with my first ever morel find! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

Yeah, I remember my first couple year, nice Mushroomnate. You are hooked now, welcome aboard

3. tundraking

tundraking Morel Connoisseur

Congrats mushroomnate! And welcome. This is the perfect year for late flushes!