Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After looking at last years weather I am surprised I picked any morels in NW Mo at all. It never really rained the entire month of March, cold and dry. First part of April had little to no moisture when the temps were good. Then it went to summer. March has already started better this year. The long range forecast so far shows no huge heat spikes. It is going to take awhile for the soil to warm up after that super cold February and cold start to March. Has a good chance weather wise to be a good producing year. Unfortunately for the Mo. River hunters the season may have ended with the floods. The dumping of the Lakes upstream is going to continue. I feel for the folks getting flooded again. God bless you guys.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
After looking at last years weather I am surprised I picked any morels in NW Mo at all. It never really rained the entire month of March, cold and dry. First part of April had little to no moisture when the temps were good. Then it went to summer. March has already started better this year. The long range forecast so far shows no huge heat spikes. It is going to take awhile for the soil to warm up after that super cold February and cold start to March. Has a good chance weather wise to be a good producing year. Unfortunately for the Mo. River hunters the season may have ended with the floods. The dumping of the Lakes upstream is going to continue. I feel for the folks getting flooded again. God bless you guys.

Wonderful post, thank you. Definitely lots of water around right now for sure so to speak.
Good luck to you - Enjoy.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took a stroll up the at the Loess Hills Wildlife Refuge today. Lots of water for the birds now. A couple of levees broke up north and I 29 is closed at the Iowa border. Tagged a half dozen 1st and 2nd year dead elm over a 4 mile walk. If I had done that 20 years ago I would have easily found at least 20 good elm. Getting more challenging. They will open the refuge hills for about a week and let you pick, the problem is they do it the same week every year so they can be to early or to late. I talked to a ranger about the problem and it made no impression.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If this type of weather continues the hills will crawl with morels by mid April.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just saw on the Texas forum that I live in the middle of the EPIC morel picking area for this season according to Chris Matherly on his Mushroom Hunting website. So I must have been correct on my post above.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If they get so thick we can smell them beowulf it will be an Epic season. Rain once a week from now to June would be nice with a steady warmup. Just not to much rain for the folks on the river.
After last year, the Morchella gods owe us.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man we may get paid. so far this weather set up is as good as a person could ask for. I know we could still get nailed by a late freeze, baking heat, or no more rain for 3 weeks, but I'm hoping the long range stays close to what it shows.

·
Registered
98 Posts
No, that’s a young black bear. I’m with the conservation department. We were trapping, tagging and putting radio collars on them last summer. About 30 minutes outside of Eminence.
She was just coming out of anaesthesia in the photo.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Henbit is turning purple. Small green shoots on the lilacs. Wild garlic is up. Last 2 weeks of April are looking real good in the NW Mo. morel factory.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
warm rain coming down in NW Mo. Looks like about 10 days out to any appreciable numbers if it does not get to cold next week. Ground temps in the hills vary so much from slope to slope, top to bottom, more vegetation or less, that it seems I can always find similar early areas most years. Bottom picking on the Mo. River and many of its tributaries is done for this year, I am not sure which rivers avoided the floods, most everything has been under for weeks. I-29 north to Omaha is still closed. A week of warm and dry would help the folks who are flooded.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Took a stroll up the at the Loess Hills Wildlife Refuge today. Lots of water for the birds now. A couple of levees broke up north and I 29 is closed at the Iowa border. Tagged a half dozen 1st and 2nd year dead elm over a 4 mile walk. If I had done that 20 years ago I would have easily found at least 20 good elm. Getting more challenging. They will open the refuge hills for about a week and let you pick, the problem is they do it the same week every year so they can be to early or to late. I talked to a ranger about the problem and it made no impression.
The ole Dawg's been known to lose my bearings once I'm wanderin around in dem hills, completely innocent and unintentional I can assure ya.;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
warm rain coming down in NW Mo. Looks like about 10 days out to any appreciable numbers if it does not get to cold next week. Ground temps in the hills vary so much from slope to slope, top to bottom, more vegetation or less, that it seems I can always find similar early areas most years. Bottom picking on the Mo. River and many of its tributaries is done for this year, I am not sure which rivers avoided the floods, most everything has been under for weeks. I-29 north to Omaha is still closed. A week of warm and dry would help the folks who are flooded.
Hey Kb! That warm rain was nice to get the forest started. Im also watching the overnight lows next week here in Iowa. Then more rain & overcast into the next week. Overall looking to be a Great year, at least high hopes for one!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Dawg, glad to see you survived that long winter. You are right every place has a back door, just have to wander through like you are lost and pick up a few morels on the way. I hope they open up 29 soon or getting north is going to be a bitch. Hawkeye, its over 60 now at my house at 10 pm, the morels will get going now. I see Iowa may get a little/lot of snow this week. Best year I ever had in Iowa was 2003 after a April blizzard. Never seen so many in so many places. I think all boxes will be filled this year.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Kb,
Look forward to these post every year. I'm thinking this year will be a banner one as well. Setting up nicely so far, keeping my fingers crossed! Lots of people keep asking me if it's going to be a good year. I feel like I'm almost whispering when I respond because I don't want to jinx it. You just never know till that times here. Yeah I remember 2003. Mushroom Heaven!! They were late that year too. Picking them on Mothers Day. Good to hear from ya, Good luck this year!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Madman we are gonna get payed back this year. Fingers crossed while tossing salt over my shoulder, and packing a 4 leaf clover in my wallet. Got any real early spots you might take a look now, not promising anything, but I got a half dozen on a south facing, full sun, fence row elm today. One was even yellow. I was expecting nothing, the red buds are not even in full bloom yet. These would be the real early ones that will be no good by prime time. I was just out for a walk to tag trees on the local river bluffs. Good to hear from you, hope you fill boxes.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts