NE Ohio 2017

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by ksu_shroomer, Mar 30, 2017.

1. ksu_shroomer

ksu_shroomer Morel Connoisseur

Morels of the northeast corner of Ohio.

2. ksu_shroomer

[​IMG]

My first find for the 2017 season.
    Good luck, everybody!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017

3. Chef_Rick

Chef_Rick Young Morel

I'm in Summit County. Has anyone found any morels yet?

4. Golfin

Golfin Young Morel

I'm in stark went out today didn't find anything

1 person likes this.
  5. the shroominator

the shroominator Morel Connoisseur

Great eyes KSU!! I went out in south west portage for a bit. Things are close. Found several gyromitra. No sponge yet. Hoping within a couple weeks they'll get going.

6. grizzly adams

grizzly adams Morel Enthusiast

Let the games begin, found about 15 tiny blacks today in NE OH today ,wanted to post a pic but it would not let me .

1 person likes this.
  7. OUmorelman

OUmorelman Young Morel

I'm in Cuyahoga County. Supposed to be in the 30's this Friday, so hopefully that doesn't sabotage their growth too much. Looking like 60's from Sunday on though. I'll report back after a look next week. Getting antsy!

8. ksu_shroomer

That's awesome! What county are you in, Griz?
    Images are a pain in the ass here. I don't mind (occasionally) helping to get an image posted for others. So, if you want to, email me your photo... arandomlandon(at)gmail(dot)com

Can't wait to get back to the woods later this week!

9. dig

dig Morel Enthusiast

Sup fellas. I moved to my cabin in PA a couple years ago, but still visit Akron frequently. Some of you may remember me. Anyway, the lawn where my cabin sits produces blacks every year. They began to show up few years after I brought some that I picked in Summit county to PA and dried them outside on my porch. What are the odds? I don't know, but they have to be pretty high. Well, here's the pics from today IMG_0342.JPG IMG_0343.JPG IMG_0344.JPG IMG_0349.JPG
    In my estimation this has every right to be posted here as it's very likely (well, I'm positive about it) that these were Ohio morels that were relocated, as it were. Take care everyone

OUmorelman likes this.
  10. the shroominator

the shroominator Morel Connoisseur

Hey Dig! I do remember you talking about that. That's pretty cool! Is that a chestnut tree you have in your yard? Judging by the hulls that's my best guess.

11. ksu_shroomer

"In my estimation this has every right to be posted here as it's very likely (well, I'm positive about it) that these were Ohio morels that were relocated, as it were. Take care everyone"
    Agreed! Glad to hear your still finding Ohio morels, digger. Nice looking place!

12. dig

dig Morel Enthusiast

Hey thx, ksu. And yeah, shroominator, we love it. And it's funny you say that about the tree, too. Ironic actually. The hulls you see are from a shagbark hickory just outside of the pics. Also just outside the pics is an American chestnut I planted about 10 years ago, but not mature enough to bear nuts. Funny huh? Those are the only two trees anywhere near where those morels grow, right on the edge of the patch. Not sure either play a mycorrhizal role, however.

13. jdk32581

jdk32581 Morel Connoisseur

My continued quest to find Blacks in NE Ohio begins this weekend.....

Question:

If you could look in only one type of habitat/terrain/tree type area for Blacks where would you look?

14. dig

dig Morel Enthusiast

I've had the best luck looking around tulip poplar/ tulip trees. Those areas also had white ash as well, but not as prevalent nor were the blacks as near to them as the former. That being said, I've also found them among oaks, maple and black cherry as well. As far as morels go, blacks are by far the most enigmatic. Hope this helps. Happy hunting

15. dig

dig Morel Enthusiast

Hey, ksu. Sorry, meant to say thx to you for the comment on my cabin. We built it ourselves back in '99. It's my haven, my sanctuary and now my home. We still get big yellows on the islands on French Creek that you can see in the pics. There are a number of islands all loaded with huge sycamores and they all produce bounties of equally huge yellows, only it's sporadic at best as to which of them really produce. But, we always find some. We'll see how this year goes...

16. dig

dig Morel Enthusiast

After a closer scrutinizing of my morel patch I counted over 30. A few were the smallest blacks I've ever seen, with one smaller than a Q-tip. My thumb for perspective
    IMG_0363.JPG

17. jdk32581

jdk32581 Morel Connoisseur

Hey Dig

Do those islands you speak of ever get completely submerged/flooded by heavy rains? I know an area near me like that with huge sycamores. Do you find those big sycamore yellows late in the season?

Problem within the area I know is my sycamores are surrounded by stinging nettles which can be awful when you run into a patch in shorts.

18. dig

dig Morel Enthusiast

yeah, jdk, the islands flood almost yearly...once, sometimes several times during winter/ early spring. But not always. However, when they do it does seem to negatively impact morel growth.

And yeah, the big yellows I find in those areas (like most other reports I've read) are later in the season, like the 1st - 2nd week of May, give or take. I can also attest to the nettles Must be some kind of relationship to that ecosystem...or something. I've learned the hard way that you need long sleeves/ pants and thick ones st that.

19. grizzly adams

grizzly adams Morel Enthusiast

Ashtabula co. Will email you some pics

20. ksu_shroomer

what do you folks think...
    Is it worth it to trudge to my early spot to capture a pic of a snow-covered morel today?

1 person likes this.