1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

NE Ohio Morels 2016

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by jdk32581, Apr 1, 2016.

1. jdk32581

jdk32581 Morel Connoisseur

I know Grizzly already found some baby blacks but let's start a fresh thread for finds in Northeast Ohio.

False morels found today in one of my black spots... Exact same date as last year minus the snow.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman Morel Connoisseur

Neat find! Comparing them to the acorn caps, they are still quite small so, good eyes! Yes, it's time to get back out there and have another look. I noticed about 8 dandelions up in my back yard this afternoon. Things are a darn sight further along than they were at this time last year.

3. sjllaurie

sjllaurie Young Morel

Anyone finding any in Richland county ohio yet? Still a bit early but I really have the fever!!!

4. jdk32581

jdk32581 Morel Connoisseur

Buckeye

Make sure that they are true dandelions and not cat ears. Last week I thought I was seeing dandelions in the road ditches but they were cats. I am convinced that the cats come sooner

5. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman Morel Connoisseur

No, jdk, they were genuine dandelions. I could follow the stem right down to the dandelion green. BTW, if there's anyone out there who likes dandelion as bitter greens for salad, or would like to try them, now is the time to get them. They're still young, tender, and not overly bitter.

But, with the cold and snow last night, they're gone. Not a single yellow flower left in the yard after the snow melted. I don't know where they go, but they certainly didn't go to seed!

6. midniterider

midniterider Young Morel

Richland Co. Friday during the sleet/snow. Sheltered side of a ridge. 2 dozen or so. Blacks.

7. zinnas

zinnas Morel Enthusiast

Wow i can't believe someone found some already in this crazy weather.I sure would like to buy a mess if anyone gets sick of eating them lol.Im in Seneca Co.

8. ant

ant Morel Connoisseur

Buckeye the best Dandy greens are before they flower.And the flower itself is great battered and fried.

9. not2oldyet

not2oldyet Morel Enthusiast

I think it is going to be a crazy year. We went looking for greys but found 50 yellows in Richland County today.

10. cooley

cooley Morel Connoisseur

Not2oldyet yet how much snow did you guys get over weekend? We got about 5 in. Of snow here in Trumbull some reported 7 in. I have not found any here yet.

11. midniterider

midniterider Young Morel

Wow, that was fast...blacks to yellows in 4 days or so. Sunny the next 5 days or so. Time to get out again.

12. not2oldyet

We got a couple of inches of snow and the tops of some had been froze. BUT here is what puzzles me...this was our grey (black) honey hole. We were out of town and did not check the end of March...I didn't expect to find any let alone yellows.

13. not2oldyet

We got a couple of inches of snow and the tops of some had been froze. BUT here is what puzzles me...this was our grey (black) honey hole. We were out of town and did not check the end of March...I didn't expect to find any let alone yellows. Hope the pics show up
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  14. not2oldyet

Not sure what I did wrong but click on the funky pic and it will take you to photo bucket.

15. roderickscott5

roderickscott5 Young Morel

I found 4 yellows in Delaware county today, still building. With this warm weather coming in, it should happen by the weekend. Was in a hotspot, south facing slope, in green vege, getting more sun than rest of woods. One at base of Osage Orange, one at base of white ash, the other two were standing alone.

16. cooley

cooley Morel Connoisseur

Nice find not2oldyet. Around Elm? What's crazy is the highest 4" soil temp. In Ohio today is showing 46 degrees. We're showing 38 here in Trumbull Co. and I believe your area is 41 and these things are popping. Anyone have thoughts on these cold soil temps and morels are still growing?

17. not2oldyet

At the risk of sounding trite...they are the elusive morel. I have been hunting for 50 years and as soon as I think I have a rhyme or reason, I am proven wrong. Yes look at soil temps but watch the calendar and green growth, also devils urns. Just when I think I know...I don't. i am retired and have time to look so I simply post what I find so hopefully you find too.

18. not2oldyet

Oh and not around elm but around the same elevation within 30 feet of about 1100 ft each way. I don't know if that means anything or not, but it is what it is.

19. soldie

soldie Morel Enthusiast

Are Delaware and Richland counties considered Northeast Ohio?

20. cwlake

cwlake Morel Connoisseur

@ not2oldyet, call me crazy but what you have there in them pics are black sponges. Ive hunted over 50 years and them are the light colored blacks. Same configuration, same size of stems and same pores as a black. Ok now tell me I'm nuts. It makes sense that there was no elms around.